The Farmers' Almanac says ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw their map the other day. It looks like it might be an old fashioned winter in my area if you can believe that they know what will happen 2 or 3 months in the future

Knowing my luck we'll get socked in with snow as this will be the first winter in 14 years without a four wheel drive vehicle. If I keep up with past tradition of getting the snowblower ready on November 1, then we won't have snow until around Christmas. If I slack off like I did about 9 years ago, we'll get hit with a big snowstorm the night before Thanksgiving and I'll be in the garage with 9 inches of snow in the driveway and a snowblower carburetor in my hand.

I'm sitting on just under 5 ton of pellets (might pick up an extra ton before snow flies just to be safe), 3 cord of firewood, and the same 3/8 of a tank of heating oil that has been sitting around for the past couple seasons.

Bring it on. I'm ready.

Reactions: smoke show
I used haul my snowblower out on July 5th start it up and let it run for a minute just to scare the neighbors but here you can hear motors during the day even though you can't see them.for the leaves on the trees and bushes so I wait until the first of October to haul it outside for a check out and there it stays covered by a blue plastic tarp until the first storm worth running it for.

The temperatures up north are also pointing to a cold winter and a number of private forecasters are also saying things look a bit chilly and messy this year.

Snowblower's tuned & ready for whatever Ma Nature brings. As far as the fuel stash, we've got 2.5 tons left from last season & 7 more on the way. They'll be delivered in early October & we'll be as set as we can be...

Crab apples started falling off the trees 2nd week of August. Beech nuts litter the ground and the tomatoes started turning red when half the usual size. Somethings up.

We are working on enjoying the last bits of Summer. Hoping for a good long fall. But JIC we'll be ready if the chit hits the fan. My stash is full! ;)

Our apples are just about ripe - much earlier than usual.

I'm fed up with my Simplicity snow blower, have been looking at Husqvarna tracked blowers. The Ariens dealer doesn't stock them, as they don't sell many. They don't sell many because they don't stock them. Catch 22 there.

Pellet stash is only 3 bags - gotta get busy, but waiting for (hopefully!) prices to drop. But, stove is cleaned and painted and ready to go.

Crab apples started falling off the trees 2nd week of August. Beech nuts litter the ground and the tomatoes started turning red when half the usual size. Somethings up.

We are working on enjoying the last bits of Summer. Hoping for a good long fall. But JIC we'll be ready if the chit hits the fan. My stash is full! ;)
Nevermind all that, How about all them fish jumping into the new rig??
I've had little to no luck on the lake this year.

Nevermind all that, How about all them fish jumping into the new rig??
I've had little to no luck on the lake this year.

We caught a few, But to me we had a better season last year. Then again it started really early last season. We were on the water in mid February and fished until Halloween. We didn't start until 1st week of May. Lots of rain mucked the waters, Then the heat kicked in and the fishing really slowed. We're hoping the fall bite is better.

We still had a blast. When the fish weren't biting, We enjoyed some fun with the new rig, It is a hoot load of fun to drive.

Yep, it's been feeling fall-like since last week in July. Definitely sooner than usual although tomorrow's forecast is for a humid 88 before it goes back to the high 70's to 80 again.
I have my stoves cleaned out and my 6 ton pellet stash ( :) ) is literally everywhere; partially in my garage, oil tank/tools/man cave, laundry room and lower family room. :cool:
I have Hamer's Hot Ones and Cubex this year and might get some shoulder pellets from Depot or Lowes. Last year we did the Green Supreme thing and hope to get less cleanings now. Them GS's are a dirty ashy bunch of pellets!

I brought home 4 tons of pellets early last week and have three of them to get into the basement. Heat advisory out as heat index is over 100. Probably be a week or two before we can get the other 3 tons in the basement. Some leaves already falling with this being the second stressed year with it becoming very dry again. Corn went up over 20 cents today as things are regionally hot and dry. Forecast for winter to be slightly above normal snow and normal cold temps.

The indians around here use wisdom from elders to determine if it's going to be a cold winter. If you ask them they will tell you their secret... " We watch the white man pile wood. Big pile, cold winters..."

Still need about a ton of shoulder stuff...will probably grab those soon. I like to start my snowblower early november. The gennies get exercised every two weeks or so for 15 min or so. I usually stock up on gas before the first doomsday storm.of the year...I think the forecasters may be right...looks like a cold winter ahead.

The brews are always stocked and a little hard stuff for emergency situations.

I used haul my snowblower out on July 5th start it up and let it run for a minute just to scare the neighbors
Ooooo I like that. Gonna have to have some fun with the neighbors now. May put the plow blade on too just for a little more shock and awe.

Reactions: Wildo

I'm fed up with my Simplicity snow blower, have been looking at Husqvarna tracked blowers. The Ariens dealer doesn't stock them, as they don't sell many. They don't sell many because they don't stock them. Catch 22 there.

Pellet stash is only 3 bags - gotta get busy, but waiting for (hopefully!) prices to drop. But, stove is cleaned and painted and ready to go.
Don't wait long......

I noticed the same thing with our apples...already eatible. Bumper crop, limbs breaking I have so many apples on some trees...Lots of seed pods on my Maple trees.. Lats two years the Wooly Bear caterpillars have been 90 % orange and hardly any snow. This years seems to be 3 equal bands of black at each end and orange in the middle.. Looks like we could get snow early and keep it right through the winter... according to the Wooly Bears this year.. Time will tell. Definitely different then the last two years..

I noticed the same thing with our apples...already eatible. Bumper crop, limbs breaking I have so many apples on some trees...Lots of seed pods on my Maple trees.. Lats two years the Wooly Bear caterpillars have been 90 % orange and hardly any snow. This years seems to be 3 equal bands of black at each end and orange in the middle.. Looks like we could get snow early and keep it right through the winter... according to the Wooly Bears this year.. Time will tell. Definitely different then the last two years..

Don't pay a lot of attention to the Wooly Bears unless they are native ones, a couple years ago they told me a big fib, turns out they were from away.

Reactions: save$ and charly
Wow, could be a nasty winter!

Got 3 tons and it was not enough last year, just not alot of inside room for them!

This year the second stove may be helpful!

Don't pay a lot of attention to the Wooly Bears unless they are native ones, a couple years ago they told me a big fib, turns out they were from away.
That's funny about you say from away... We go to Saco Maine every year for a week.. One morning eating at the Maine Dinner I hear a couple of local people talking about a friend who moved to Maine when he was just a week old.. they said he's still from away! I got a kick out of that..

Unfortunately more and more people living in Maine are from away.

Ayah. Those from "away" have no clue!

i'm from so far away i think it turns somewhat back towards almost a positive in my neighbors eyes.
i think if i were from boston or somewhere down there instead of oregon, it might be different.

*keywords "somewhat" and "almost" ;lol

Don't trust them Wooly Flatlandapillahs. I'm tellin' you!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Fall started here the end of July. Real dry here and the mosquitoes have disappeared. Drove up I-395 in CT yesterday and some trees are already turning color. New sheer bolts in the snow blower and the oil has been changed. Chains are on. Just ran the gasoline generator out of the old fuel and changed that oil. Only cut the grass three times with the JD lawn tractor this season and will grease the front end and the "50 hour" oil change this weekend. Ordered pellet stove maintenance for my 2006 Castille. Eight years with the original igniter and thermal couple is pushing it.... Sitting on over 4 tons of pellets but that isn't enough and will make the rounds of the box stores this weekend. Would love to score a couple of tons of Stove Chow. Yeah, gonna be cold as hell and expect snow by Halloween...I can feel it comin'..... (Gee, for a pellet burner, I'm changin' a whole lot of oils....)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.