The first of two loads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Planeweird

Sep 29, 2008
cincinnati, oh
Ordered 6 cords. I’m out of town on a mission, but my buddy and my Lady are there to stack some of it. I was told that the truck holds two cords and that it would take 3 trips, but apparently he is stacking higher so that it only takes two loads. Does this look like 3 cords to you?

Attachments

• Photo0081.jpg
    Photo0081.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 704
  • Photo0083.jpg
    Photo0083.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 711
  • Photo0088.jpg
    Photo0088.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 729
Wouldn't bet my life on it but looks like two cords.

This is the second load and the beginnings of our first two rows.

AND after measuring the loads while on the truck, I've been told by my buddy that it's closer to 7 cords($700). This is definitely going to be my source from now on:)

Attachments

• Photo0095.jpg
    Photo0095.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 652
  • Photo0093.jpg
    Photo0093.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 621
  • Photo0089.jpg
    Photo0089.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 613
  • Photo0097.jpg
    Photo0097.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 658
It looks like a little over 3 to me, but if it all gets cross-stacked it will take up more space. The load looks about 5' x 5' x 8', which comes in just over 3 cords.

I got pictures sent to me by my friend and he measured the loads while neatly stacked on the truck. Each load was 10x8x5.5

And they only cross stacked the ends so the rows wouldn't slide.

I hope it is pretty dry already! It doesn't look like it will get much wind or sun where it is being stacked. Just an observation, might be your only space.

Planeweird said:
I got pictures sent to me by my friend and he measured the loads while neatly stacked on the truck. Each load was 10x8x5.5

And they only cross stacked the ends so the rows wouldn't slide.

Wow. Doesn't look 8 feet wide, but if so then he's right. Well over 6. Great deal.

Looks like you found one of those rare "good" firewood dealers. Great deal, maybe you should get more?

I would get more but don't have room. Besides he does this all the time and says I can call him anytime.

Those two rows in between the houses is only a little over a third of what I got. It's seasoned just shy of two years and that area does get LOTs of afternoon sun and decent breeze.

I have never heard of a dealer with wood that has seasoned for two years+. That sounds like an awesome find, congrats!

You've got to do something in this economy, firewood seems like a good choice since everyone is looking for an alternative to the high costs of every other heat source. We should be glad we don't have to buy pellets. ;-P

webby3650 said:
I have never heard of a dealer with wood that has seasoned for two years+. That sounds like an awesome find, congrats!

my guess is that they were log length for 2 years ... unless he has the wood covered.... i would say stack it loosely as it doesnt look completely seasoned.... but it could just be the picture
anyways... it looks great and thanks for the pics cause now you make me wanna go get some wood

webby3650 said:
It doesn't look like it will get much wind or sun where it is being stacked.
Actually, you can get some pretty good heat trapped between buildings like that and depending on wind direction, the buildings can funnel a good amount of wind like a tunnel.

Not everyone has an open field.

exactly. it's the west side of the house and gets most of the heat. And he has 20+ cords. This was some of his personal use supply and has been split for a little under 2 years

madrone said:
The load looks about 5' x 5' x 8', which comes in just over 3 cords.

Better check the batteries in your calculator. 5*5*8=200 cubic feet. 3 cords is 384 cubic feet.

That is some neat looking property, did it used to be a school or something? I just love old buildings, I wouldn't trade two new houses for an old one!

webby3650 said:
That is some neat looking property, did it used to be a school or something? I just love old buildings, I wouldn't trade two new houses for an old one!

Thanks Web.

No, it's just a big ol' 100yr old house. I've been doing a full rehab on it for the past 14 months. Need to repair and paint that garage/workshop.

Planeweird said:
webby3650 said:

Thanks Web.

No, it's just a big ol' 100yr old house. I've been doing a full rehab on it for the past 14 months. Need to repair and paint that garage/workshop.
What are you heating it with? The house I mean.

webby3650 said:
What are you heating it with? The house I mean.
OH, OH, OH... lemme guess... Wood?

Too funny. Actually, I have hot water radiators throughout being run on a 95% efficient digital boiler. But I am putting a Jotul in the livingroom and will be heating at least the first floor this way now.

Planeweird said:
Too funny. Actually, I have hot water radiators throughout being run on a 95% efficient digital boiler. But I am putting a Jotul in the livingroom and will be heating at least the first floor this way now.

"Digital boiler" ... Hmmm - is that what you get when you run water through your computer to heat your house? The more time you spend on hearth.com the warmer it gets? :)

mayhem said:
madrone said:
The load looks about 5' x 5' x 8', which comes in just over 3 cords.

Better check the batteries in your calculator. 5*5*8=200 cubic feet. 3 cords is 384 cubic feet.

My bad. Late night mental math.

Slow1 said:
Planeweird said:

"Digital boiler" ... Hmmm - is that what you get when you run water through your computer to heat your house? The more time you spend on hearth.com the warmer it gets? :)

I think that's when you reach in for a hotdog instead of pouring off the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.