The Garn boiler on TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Caught an episode of Yukon Men the other night. Apparently it's a series based on the life in a small town in northern Alaska. The town's water system needs to be heated in the winter to avoid freezing and bursting of pipes. One scene from inside the "boiler room" showed very briefly 3 Garn boilers side by side. I'll bet delivery charge on those beasts was a few pennies!

....and now i see there was already a thread started on this....just could not tell by the title.

....and now i see there was already a thread started on this....just could not tell by the title.
two of em actually. :)

Three garns.. man, that's a lot of heat. You think they are supplying actual HEAT to the houses, or only keeping the DHW running?

Looks like most of the "heat" is being used to boil all of that moisture out of their GREEN wood........... :confused:

TS

I liked the episode where the kid talks about making 500 bucks on two cords of wood.. But the show pictures him hauling a sled, 6 miles down river one way.. and hauls back by hand.. about 4, 4 foot sticks. Yeah.. He'll be done in about 10 years.

JP

A lot of those shows invent contrived emergencies to add a little drama to their program. I can tell you this......If they continue to cut green wood like that and throw it in those Garns, they will have a REAL live emergency on their hands someday. They'll be calling some poor plumber with a drain cutter to auger the tar out of the flue tubes.

A lot of those shows invent contrived emergencies to add a little drama to their program. I can tell you this......If they continue to cut green wood like that and throw it in those Garns, they will have a REAL live emergency on their hands someday. They'll be calling some poor plumber with a drain cutter to auger the tar out of the flue tubes.

Yea, I wondered about the large amounts of green wood they are using. I guess that will make for good viewing next seson!

"Reality TV", action with no analytical thinking of consequence, are all indicative of the social degradation rampant in our Country at current.

Bumming everyone out...but someone gotta say it and moreover we all got to start altering the status quo within our powers

Scott

"Reality TV", action with no analytical thinking of consequence, are all indicative of the social degradation rampant in our Country at current.

Bumming everyone out...but someone gotta say it and moreover we all got to start altering the status quo within our powers

Scott

Social and mental the way it seems Scott. I catch a little bit of some of the reality shows now and again and the comment "what were they thinking" keeps popping into my head.

Social and mental the way it seems Scott. I catch a little bit of some of the reality shows now and again and the comment "what were they thinking" keeps popping into my head.

Civics were a mandatory subject in US schools curriculum.
They were removed from the syllabus and the "standards" of education were also steadily reduced,
to what now is bordering on remedial levels.
The steady decline of"critical thinking" is direct result of these changes, because as you said Steve, Mental as well as Social".

Does the average adult and worse young adult even know what Civics are?
Ben Franklin, Jefferson and John Adams were staunch advocates of such rights/responsibilities.
Citizens lacking understanding and participation of and in the "system"(Gov't) and their role in it...are nothing but pawns(which requires mental and Social degradation..voila!). As always" Qui bono"?...and worse..who loses?

Bummer again guys...apologies, but it really gets my goat.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.