The Gasket Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Has anyone taken to making their own gaskets for things like the fans and burn pot? Being in the TRADES, I have had, on many occasions, had to manufacture my own gaskets. Anybody know of a reason why this cannot be done?

As long as the material is heat resistant it would not be a problem... I always have a roll of gasket material on hand for my automotive work...

I work in the maritime industry for a while and making our own gasket was the norm. There's a kit probably$$$$ that you can buy to cut circles and you can buy hole punches from maybe Harbor Freight or Napa or Shucks. I'm wondering why the Hytemp Napa RTV isn't a good choice. bjr23

I picked up a 1' x 3' piece of Lynn Sheet from a local HVAC supplier for $6. It's the same material that is used by stove manufacturer's for the fans. It's easily cut to shape using an exacto knife or razor blade.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You can get 5' by 5' sheets in varying thicknesses and temperature ratings from http://www.sealsales.com/sheet/csheet.shtml

There are tons of different ways to make your own gaskets, there is even spray on stuff, not sure how well it comes off, but it is available.

Spray-on stuff works great ONCE.

hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
You can get 5' by 5' sheets in varying thicknesses and temperature ratings from http://www.sealsales.com/sheet/csheet.shtml

There are tons of different ways to make your own gaskets, there is even spray on stuff, not sure how well it comes off, but it is available.

What are you saying hoss?

1. You can't get it off to make another.
2. You can't reuse the old one.

SmokeyTheBear said:
hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

1. The spray on stuff I tried worked well, but was difficult to take apart several months later. (It sealed well).
2. Once apart, cleaning surfaces to apply new gasket was next to impossible.
3. Don't remember brand name of stuff I used, it was 3 -4 years ago.
That's what I'm saying

macman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
You can get 5' by 5' sheets in varying thicknesses and temperature ratings from http://www.sealsales.com/sheet/csheet.shtml........

Smokey, have you used this yourself? If so, what thickness did you get?

No macman, I haven't used this particular one myself.

The folks I bought my stove from gave me a piece similar to these because I needed a new gasket when I installed the adapter on the convection motor.

I'd have to go measure what I have left over. It looks like both the convection and combustion blowers on my unit are the same thickness. I'll go fish the stuff out and post the thickness sometime tomorrow. I currently have things rather buried in the garage and a couple of chickens that are asleep at the moment that I don't want to wake up.

The folks at the hearth shop have this stuff in sheets and use a Leatherman pocket knife to cut it with, they use the part as a template and trace around it with the blade for the outside cut, doing the inside cut is a bit tricky that way but doable, I used an hobby knife to do mine with. You can also use good sharp scissors.

hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
hossthehermit said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

1. The spray on stuff I tried worked well, but was difficult to take apart several months later. (It sealed well).
2. Once apart, cleaning surfaces to apply new gasket was next to impossible.
3. Don't remember brand name of stuff I used, it was 3 -4 years ago.
That's what I'm saying

Ok, now I know what you ran into. There appear to be several different versions of it as well so I'm not surprised you had some problems. I would have to see if there is a specific solvent for the different versions. Likely there is.

I've used a number of sealants and have come across a few that I wouldn't wish on anyone that might have to remove it down the road.

macman,

It was 3/32" material. Remember if you buy any of this stuff you are going for a gas tight seal so buy the correct temperature and seal type material you need.

As the person selling the pellets never tells you, they "ain't" all the same.

The high temperature gaskets in my stove were all of a fiberglass material that seemed nearly identical to the stuff used to insulate walls, only the gasket material is of course much, much thinner. Whatever was used to bind the fibers together ended up sticking to the metal bits and was pretty much destroyed during disassembly.

OldScrap said:
The high temperature gaskets in my stove were all of a fiberglass material that seemed nearly identical to the stuff used to insulate walls, only the gasket material is of course much, much thinner. Whatever was used to bind the fibers together ended up sticking to the metal bits and was pretty much destroyed during disassembly.

Yep, even the fiber ones are difficult to get off in one piece.

Well it has just started snowing here. Hopefully it won't amount to anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.