The Gasket Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
This year (I didn't do it last year because the stove was only two seasons in, and figured it to be fine) I'll try the "dollar bill test" on the door gasket.

I know "how" (basically) to do it, but just wanted to check in with the finer points. The dollar bill should NOT pull thru at all, yes?
(It goes without saying, I suppose, that this test should be performed in multiple locations around the door).

-Soupy1957

From what I remember Soupy...I was having problems back in the winter and I did the dollar bill test and pen told me it should not pull out or if it pulls out with a little resistance that would be a problem...
and yes check it in all areas around the door...

I believe I read somewhere that the hinge area on doors, are often locations for the first sign of failure of the gasket. Don't know if that's true or not.

-Soupy1957

This can depend on how the stove door is designed and type of gasket. With a flush sealing gasket I have found there should be noticeable resistance. So a light tug should not move it, but a firm tug might. If the door seal has a knife edge mate, then the dollar bill can be captive in a good seal and will barely move even with a firm tug. Search on 'dollar bill test' and you will find many different stove makes being tested.

Another sign of the gasket needing replacement may be darkening of the glass where the gasket is sealing poorly. I would be surprised if the 2 yr old Avalon's gasket needs replacing already, but it's always good to check. I do it every summer after cleaning the stove up for fall.

PS: Don't do this test with the stove burning or you'll end up with a dollar looking like this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/46000/#505035

Use a larger bill. Stick a $100 bill in there and if it comes out, it is no good. Ship it to me and I'll send the proper one to check with.

"Don’t do this test with the stove burning ................"

-Duh!

Also not all gaskets are created equal. The cheap white stuff found at hardware stores might have a very loose braiding which will affect your efficiencies as it leaks too much air in the chamber. There are different grade of the white stuff. Most often the black braid gaskets are designed with a tight wove specifically designed for EPA stoves. If in doubt ask your friendly MFG.

All the best.

I think one of the Lopi video's says the door gaskets need to be replaced about every other year. I thought that seemed a little too soon but they probably know better than me.

Todd said:
I think one of the Lopi video's says the door gaskets need to be replaced about every other year. I thought that seemed a little too soon but they probably know better than me.

Still rockin' the original gaskets. I've tightened the latch a couple of times though.

I've not understood why but some stoves need the gaskets replaced often while others will go many years between replacements. I've seen door gaskets last up to 20 years while others need replacing after 1 or 2 years.

Low quality replacement gasket?

I think I posted this YouTube video some time ago, but anyway..........for your viewing pleasure...............

FYI, black vs. white gasket means nothing about the density. It just means the black one is dusted with graphite to keep it from sticking to the paint on the stove.

Both come in low and high density.

Status
Not open for further replies.