The Golden Wall...(addition)...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chvymn99

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2010
Kansas
Finally got time to post some picks. Two weeks ago, went back home and cut some more hedge. I ended up with a trailer load.

f47d5391.jpg

Then last weekend, I finally got around to spltting and stacking. I ended up clearing up the base of my property against the states fence. I leveled it off some what, putting bricks under the Oak skids. I'm hoping to run the length of the fence with my wood. Trying to figure out how to cover this, but that will come later. But here is the start of the Wall. its started out looking Golden though. LOL. Hopefully this hedge will be 3 to 4 years down the road.

4a5193e9.jpg

That will look sweeeeeet! The fence will also help give stability to the stack. Wish I had some of that Gold

Nice stack you got goin' there! Enjoy the gold color now, it will soon be brown. :)
You should certainly be able to burn some of that before three or four years, if you so choose. I think it dries quickly...

Yea, it looks golden now but by July won't be so orange brown it will be.
It does season quickly, but I'm probably 3 to 4 seasons ahead currently. I just love this wood, and how the NC13
Work together. I'll try to post pics of it later. With hedge I can extend my heat cycles & have major coals left for start up.

Great stuff. Hedge & Black Locust (and Mulberry to a lesser degree) is worth their weight in Gold. :coolsmirk:

That's some nice looking wood! Cut, split, and stacked is golden for sure!

Those are the best pictures of the legendary. Osage Orange that I have seen here. The bark looks like Black Locust, but the wood is orange, not the light green of BL. Does anybody know if the species are related? Thanks for the pics. I don't think I'll ever see any of that in real life around me.

Black Locust isnt related to Osage,but Mulberry is a distant cousin.

Nice load of some great btu's.

zap

Yes, nice load. Strapped down well too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, nice load. Strapped down well too.

Yes, thank you. It had a 80 mile trip to make.

Yes, Mulberry is suppose to be pretty close to Hedge, haven't burnt much of it yet. Next year I'll get my teeth cut with both Mulberry and Honey Locust. As I got quite a bit of those this year from scrounge's.

But went back home today and cut some more hedge today. I ended up with a packed Ford Ranger bed. This time most of it was already seasoned, its much harder on chains this way. Got several more downed tree that should get cut this winter.

Flatbedford said:
Those are the best pictures of the legendary. Osage Orange that I have seen here. The bark looks like Black Locust, but the wood is orange, not the light green of BL. Does anybody know if the species are related? Thanks for the pics. I don't think I'll ever see any of that in real life around me.

Thank you for the compliment, it was a pretty setting with the light and all.

Went back this weekend and got another load. Didn't have much time to cut, so I just picked up some wood that my Dad and Uncle had cut in the last week. They got about another 75 yard of the Hedge row under growth cleaned up, ready for tree felling. The great thing about this load is most of it is pretty much already seasoned and rock hard. But will be added to the wall soon. So I packed up the little ford ranger, and fit this all in under the camper shell too.

1bc9e1c5.jpg

The saw dust coming off that wood is known as "Bowyers Gold" in primative archery circles. I see a lot of poential longbows going up in smoke there. If you are so inclined you could likely sell any clean straight pieces that are 60-70" long for enough to pay for a lot of good hardwood, a splitter, new saw, etc... Because of the way it grows - clean straight osage is rare and very sought after.

As far as it loosing it's pretty yellow color. It will only get dark on the outside. Those stacks could sit there for 100 years and if you split them they would be as bright in the center as they were when fresh cut. Osage is some of the most amazing, rot resistant wood on the planet. I have pulled logs out of a ditch that sat in water for 20 years or more and after splitting and getting past the deep checks it was as good as when it was cut down for making bows. Bright yellow and solid on the inside.

Great fire wood too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.