The Groundhog was right this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
Last week I was outside in a tee shirt, now the stove is going non-stop and the weather guessers are calling for snow. Almost noon and 22 degrees outside. Looks like the little critter hit it on the nose this time!

Dear Arkansas,

It's a balmy, beautiful 20-something degrees here. Perfect weather--air is thick and tropical, but it's cool enough not to melt the snow. I stepped out on the porch barefoot in my jammies this morning, and marveled at the warmth. Sun isn't up yet, but the sky is clear so weather bodes beautiful. Stove is still hot to the touch this a.m., sun will be flooding the house, so no fire until this evening.

That would be amazing, if winter only lasts until mid-March. Somebody give that groundhog a raise.

It's all relative.

Love,
Alaska

This was about an hour ago:

Happily, so was this:

Attachments

• 1a3.jpg
    1a3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 198
We've been cutting wood and no snow on the ground but mud in places. Yesterday it finally started getting cold and we had snow most of the day but not heavy snow until late afternoon. Then it snowed hard for a bit. This morning it was cold! Single digits when I was plowing snow this morning and one neighbor told me she had no water because everything had frozen. Had to haul some water even to give to the horses. Not a good thing.

We got around 4" of the white stuff. Not as cold predicted for tonight but looks like it will stay cold a few days at least.

-10 this a.m with an inch of fresh snow overnight. +10 and clear right now. supposed to go down to -12 tonight but then warming up to the 20's by early next week.
either way, it's the middle of Feb., the worst is over.

Snow cleared out, was sunny even. About 15 degrees with a stiff wind though, so I didn't check out the sunset. Threw a cranberry chocolate chip tart in the oven instead. Spring better come soon I'm going to need to get to working on the wood stacks to work off this winter!

Our predicted snowstorm did not happen today. Zero snow on the ground as it has been all winter. Daffodils are breaking through the neighbors mulch bed. Winter just did not happen here in Ma.

Nice stove pic there E.C., almost like it belongs in advertisement. Tonight I lit the stove after having it off for almost a week now.

Groundhog is a liar. We were supposed to get 5 in of snow and arctic temps this weekend. I loaded the stove full in the morning & shut it down for a low cruise.

By 3pm it hit 40 and the living room was 76F. We had to open a window :(

fishingpol said:
Nice stove pic there E.C., almost like it belongs in advertisement. Tonight I lit the stove after having it off for almost a week now.

Thanks! I was playing around with ideas for next years Christmas cards.

I can't imagine a week with no burning!

I may get some grief for saying this, but just a few more weeks and I'll shut down for the season. Our temps are regularly in the 40's during the day. One fire in the morning and let it go out as the day warms. It makes no sense to re-light after work. This winter was the shoulder season that never ended.

I suspect the same will be true here. The deep freeze is on tonight so I got out some choice old pieces of the good stuff to savor what could end up the last weekend of 24hr burning this year.

From Tue on the 10 day has high 40s every day and then we are almost into March when we rarely ever have cold enough days to burn all day, even in a cold year. NG is just too cheap to make it worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.