The hearth makes it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilwere

Dec 2, 2008
Northern IL
Hello all,

First time posting, but have read many of your threads. Great advice, some real jokers, and some very frugal folks. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with saving money, but I think there is something to be said for spending some money and effort to make something extra special (NY Soapstone is one example that comes to mind).

I just wanted to post my before and after pics of my old fireplace and my new Hampton H300 and St. Rita Blue Soapstone hearth. I must admit we spent more on the hearth than we did on the stove, but we felt that it was worth it. The stove (as was the fireplace before it) is the focal point of the room. We wanted it to be something that really added to the beauty of the room as well the warmth. Hope you like it.

The stone hearth came from RockTops Inc. in Crete, IL. Great folks that really took the time to help me get what I wanted. The owner has a wood stove on a whopping 23 foot long soapstone hearth, so he understood what I wanted.

Attachments

• Fireplace sml.jpg
    Fireplace sml.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 804
  • Wood stove Sml.jpg
    Wood stove Sml.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 848
  • Wood stove clsup sml.jpg
    Wood stove clsup sml.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 796
I've got no problem admitting that I am one of the frugal ones but I still appreciate quality and aesthetics, just can't afford em.

That is a REALLY nice looking install and stove. Enjoys yourself this winter.

you most definately have something to be proud of there.

Nice work.

pen (who is drooling with envy)

Holy Cow!..that was a big project, I take it the brick chimney was also removed too. If you heat 24/7 you won't regret that decision and as cold as it gets were you are that project will pay for itself in 3 years. Very nice job and cook stove too...all you need is a generator and you'll be totally independent in short term emergencies.

Thanks for the kind words. We passed our inspection today, so first fire tonight!

Regarding the chimney. It was a zero clearance fireplace with not much of a real chimney. Basically, once the brick came down the walls of the chase were framed, insulated, and dry walled and a new double wall chimney installed.

I wish I could say that I had the time and was handy enough to do it myself, but it just wasn't happening. Especially when my husband had a bum hand.

It never ends though... now we are installing a ceiling fan to circulate more of that soon to be lovely warm air.

Well happy trails on your 1st burn HC.

That's pretty much the nicest lookin' stove I've ever seen....please post pics with a fire in it!

looks great! I too would like to see a pict. or two with a fire burning in that very nice stove!

Very nice looking......Enjoy and Congrats on the new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.