1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

The Hearthstone "Heritage" model Pellet stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Chain, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
    In my never ending quest to decide what brand of new pellet stove to purchase to replace my old Lopi, I'm wondering if any members here are familiar with the Heritage pellet stove sold by Hearthstone? It's a very pretty looking stove but I'm wondering about build quality, dependability, ease of operation and cleaning, frequency of cleaning, noise level, cost, and customer service. Any information, suggestions, etc. anyone can provide is most appreciated. Thanks...Here's a link to their website for those unfamiliar with this stove:

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/pellet-stoves/stove-details?product_id=37

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    firecracker_77 has one. Hang in a bit. Or send him a PM.

Neat looking stove! ;-)
  3. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    A beautiful stove! When I was thinking wood stoves the heritage was my target....then when I decided on a pellet stove the pellet version of the heritage was the one I wanted but my dealer, who sells lots of hearthstone wood stoves, said he wouldn't sell them. He had one in the shop for a while and couldn't get it to operate correctly. I'm not sure of all the issues he had with it but he was really against them....I moved on and am happy with my stove. I would also be interested in hearing what a Hearthstone pellet owner thinks of their stove. Good luck with your decision!
  4. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    That's not very encouraging to hear that a dealer won't even sell them. My closest Harman dealer also happens to sell Hearthstone wood stoves but not their pellet stoves. Maybe this attitude is common among Hearthstone dealers? I think I'll quiz him a bit about the Heritage as I've already been speaking with him about buying a Harman P68 from him. He's kind of a bullshitter (about every subject and not just stoves) and so I'll be curious to hear his thoughts on this. The thing is, what should be a 15 minute conversation always turns into 45 minutes and inevitably entails every subject under the sun. I love the guy, but you have to be prepared to spend an hour in his shop to get the info. you're looking for. Thanks for the info. thus far.
  5. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    Found some information in this thread that might help you in your decision.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75127/

Something to consider is that the Cast Iron pellet stoves (at least with my Enviro M55), it is basically a steel stove (firebox) within the cast iron outer body. I am assuming that the Soapstone stove doesn't rely on the cast/soapstone body to be the air tight firebox. One of the posters in the attached thread indicate that the stove is basically a Rika Integra II inside a soapstone body. That may be a good thing but not sure.
  6. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Thanks, Really Hot for the link. From what I can gather exploring the Hearthstone website, the Heritage body is cast iron and the soap stone material is layered over the body. If you've ever looked at their wood stoves, the same is true. I'm really liking the looks of this stove, but I'm far more concerned about performance, reliability, etc. so unless the Heritage is somewhat close to a Harman or comparable brand, I won't be buying the Heritage. Again, thanks everyone for all the helpful info. thus far.
  7. stoveguy13

stoveguy13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    they had some blower issues with the first group but worked through that now the only real down side to the stove i found running it was the hopper size it just holds 40 lbs and for a 50 k stove it is a bit small the guts are astroflame so they are from a good company
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    IIRC, they are WAY more pricy tha anything
    on the market of a comparable size. When
    they first came out they were in the $4500
    range, WITHOUT venting or installation. Pretty,
    yes, but for that kinda price, they'd better be
    indestructable. You can get a Harman P61A,
    with venting & installation for THAT price.
    The company I used to work for sells both Harman
    & Hearthstone & they WON'T sell that Heritage Pellet
    unit...
  9. Chain

Chain Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Thanks for the info., gang......It's a pretty stove, but as I said in my initial post, I'm far more concerned with other issues than looks. Sounds like it's best to put the Heritage in the "not interested" pile along with the other brands I've decided against. Appreciate all the comments, everyone.
  10. I bought one and had it installed in September 2012. Higher price? Yes. (You always get what you pay for.) Awesome stove? You better believe it!
  11. kladdie

kladdie New Member

Loc:
    Adirondacks NY
    Disgusted with the cost of running my propane furnace (keeping the house at a mere 67 degrees), I purchased the Heritage just over a month ago and have burned through nearly a ton of pellets. A long-time burner of wood, this is my first experience with pellet fuel, so I have nothing to compare it to. Overall, I am quite happy with the Heritage, though it has its pros and cons.
    Pros:
    1) Cost of fuel. In less than a month of use, I saved about $30 on propane and $140 on electricity. (Appalled the cost of propane I immediately enlisted the services of three electric heaters. Another shock arrived with my electric bill.) But I spent $163 on pellets. The upside to the break-even is that I am now keeping the house at a balmy 72 degrees rather that 67. So more comfort for roughly the same cost.
    2) Ease of use. While the Heritage requires more frequent attention than I anticipated, it is not time-consuming or labor intensive. Emptying the burn pot and ash pan, then a quick vacuum of ashes and glass cleaning takes less than 10 minutes a day. (*See "cons" for exceptions to ease of use.)
    3) Attractiveness. The stove (I have the grey soapstone) is very appealing visually and offers not only warmth, but the ambiance of a fire in the hearth.
    4) Warmth. Using the included room sensor, the stove is able to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the day and remains warm long after it has shut off. Using the auto mode and manually setting the desired temperature, it will run on its own all night and keep the furnace at bay.
    5) Quiet operation. But blower is kind of loud. And my wood stove was virtually silent.

Cons:
    1) Cost. Expensive at nearly $5000 with all installation parts. Install was additional. It will take a very long time for this stove to pay for itself.
    2) Difficulty of use. The control panel (as well as the accompanying instruction manual) is a mystery solved only by trying to follow the instructions but ending up pressing buttons randomly in hopes that I'll get lucky. After more than a month with the stove it's not really any easier. Though the troubleshooting section of the owner's manual is very helpful. Also, auger access plate is tedious to remove. Hand cramps from trying to keep the wrench in place.
    3) Burn pot. Daily cleaning is recommended but often needs to be emptied twice a day. A simple task, but not always easy to catch it at a time when it's cooled down enough to empty. Also noticed today that there is a small break in the bottom of the pot.
    4) Start-up time. Takes at least 10 minutes to start up, but then, so does a wood stove.
    5) Requires frequent attention. Though it's usually brief. Usually it's because the burn pot is clogged and the stove isn't getting enough air to ignite.

Overall, I am quite happy with the Hearthstone Heritage pellet stove and would recommend it, if you're willing to part with $5K. I'm not sorry I got it, but my expectation of saving a lot of money has been diminished. Daily maintenance is quick and easy but seems to be required more often than was expected. I hope this was helpful.

12. Listen....you don't have to "empty" the burnpot on a HearthStone Heritage.
    The stove was designed in such a way that calls for you take the multi-use tool (that HearthStone provided you with when you purchased the stove) and send the ash/clinkers through the grating at the bottom of the burnpot by using a back-and-forth sweeping motion until the pot is cleared of the unwantables.
    The ash/clinkers that you sift/crush through the burnpot bottom grating quickly end up into the ash pan, and you're ready to light-off again. No need to even touch the burnpot until you vacuum (2-3 days of use) or whever warranted. While vacuuming, simply pull up on the burnpot, set it just to the side and then send your vacuum hose down into the ashpan.
    No need to even pull out the ashpan, and you also shouldn't even have to put your hands on the burnpot until you vacuum the firebox.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
    kladdie likes this.
  13. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Hearthstone has one of the best fit and finish of any maker it there. I was amazed by it, love it. Has the same type of room sensor as a Harman but can be used with a regular tstat also. Little wacky in the programs and not very intuitive unless your very linear or German. Only 4k. Rika (austroflamm) makes the back end guys of that thing and the Manchester which is the cast model
  14. An Heritage owner becomes accustomed to the HearthStone concept of stove controls. They provide a flowchart diagram that shows the proper path to get to the differring portions of the controls. It is no less worse than having to learn your way around a new television, or automobile audio system. It's all about the learning curve.
    Scott is right, the fit and finish of HearthStone is unmatched. I have absolutely NO regrets on my purchase from over 2 years ago with this stove. It rocks, and is built like one.
  15. dave2112

dave2112 New Member

Loc:
    buffalo ny
    I love the looks of these stoves. But for that amount of loot they should have made the entire thing cast not just the outside. And they should garentee everything in the stove forever.
  16. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    They cost less than a M55 cast or a Harman XXV.
  17. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Welcome to the forum kladdie! Glad to hear you are happy with your stove even though it may take a long time to recoup. Everyone goes through that learning curve so your not alone on that. Enjoy the heat ... surprised no one mentioned we like pics of stoves;lol
  18. kladdie

kladdie New Member

Loc:
    Adirondacks NY
    Thanks Village Idiot. That was not explained to me when the multi-use tool was demonstrated by my installer. Though I should have thought of it myself.
  19. You're absolutely welcome, kladdie. Enjoy your new HearthStone Heritage.
    If you have any questions or issues in the future, don't hesitate to send me a message.
  20. radiorental

radiorental New Member

Loc:
    ma
    I'd like to bump this thread, there's very few reviews available for this model, wondering if anyone has an update now that it's been out for a little while

A floor model has come up at an end of year sale for $3870 (msrp 4300) and I'm seriously considering it.

thanks!