The hitchhiker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I pulled this tick off my daughters finger this evening. She said that there were about 10 more that she rubbed off onto the floor.<> I put a thumb tack next to it for comparison.

I can't believe how small this thing is. In my area there are very few ticks, and the ones we get are a lot bigger. I am hoping that these were just a fresh batch and did not get on any rodents with Lyme's disease. This literally looked like a speck of dirt. Needless to say, everything got a good vacuuming. Now I have that feeling that every itch is a tick crawling on me. I mean how could you find this on a pet?

IMG_0586.JPG

I live up the street from you and we had the worst spring for ticks I ever encountered. Found a few deer ticks on the dogs, but mostly dog ticks. Luckily theyre a lot less active in the hot part of the summer- but finding 10 at once is a bad sign

Round these parts, the ticks seem to congregate in areas with a lot of pines & not too many leaves on the ground. My daughter's dog tends to do her business in those types of locations & we're on a constant alert. They're indeed tiny, until they're gorged with blood & then they're about the size of a popcorn kernel...

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Man, I've been dreading the next wave of these little bastages. They've been non-existant for the past month or so.
Thanks for the heads up Jon.
Those sure are tiny,....never seen any that small around here, but doesn't mean they haven't been here.
The ones we had this spring were big enough to easily see.
I'm now on high alert.:mad:

Reactions: fishingpol
i've never had an issue with ticks here in Central CT but this spring i got tagged and my son got tagged (right in the head unawares to him!) by female deer ticks, both embedded but not engorged. i found a dead tick inside our house and a couple of live ones hanging out in our bathroom. me paranoid? yes. but it's been better with the hotter weather. next spring, if it's a mild winter, i spray the backyard or get chickens!

I have only seen maybe one tick around here this year......Definitely not complaining but still kind of weird because I heard they were supposed to be horrible this year.

Last summer I sprayed my clothes with Sawyer Duranon Permethrin Insect Repellent, this year I've been spraying Backwoods Off, the ticks up this way don't seem that bad compared to some areas.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.