The holding bin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I found a use for an old watering bin I found in a barn. I mounted the bin to a rolling dolly to allow it to be tucked under the deck near the walk-in basement door where the stove is. I use a garden wagon to retrieve the wood from the piles, some 150 feet away, pull the empty bin out onto the patio for loading, then roll it back under the deck. The bin is now chest high, 3 feet from the entry door and very well protected from the elements. It has worked well so far.

Attachments

• wood5.jpg
    wood5.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 584
I'm discovering that, the less I have to handle the wood, the better. There was a time when I was thinking that I would move wood from the outdoor piles, into the garage, in a "Step down" type of procedure. The reality is, that I move wood from the piles, directly into the house, into a wood ring, waiting for burning.

"Less" is better, in MY world. Next summer, I'm putting in a wood shed. I'll still have to stack it in there, and move it from there to the house, but.........no more Tarps to dig out!!

Besides, I have two son-in-laws to help me stack the wood!!

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
I'm discovering that, the less I have to handle the wood, the better. There was a time when I was thinking that I would move wood from the outdoor piles, into the garage, in a "Step down" type of procedure. The reality is, that I move wood from the piles, directly into the house, into a wood ring, waiting for burning.

"Less" is better, in MY world. Next summer, I'm putting in a wood shed. I'll still have to stack it in there, and move it from there to the house, but.........no more Tarps to dig out!!

Besides, I have two son-in-laws to help me stack the wood!!

-Soupy1957

Yep, tarps suck. I used some last year, but this year I'm just knocking the snow off the splits before I carry them in. When a storm is forecast I haul a few days worth into the sunporch or basement. A Wood shed is the answer, but don't think it's in the cards for me. Too many other projects waiting.

soupy1957 said:
I'm discovering that, the less I have to handle the wood, the better. -Soupy1957

Yup that's my school of thought as well.

I try to keep from handling it any more than I have too. "Work smart not Hard" is my motto!

The watering bin looks nice, sort of an oversized wheel barrow. Looks to hold about the same if you don't pile it high.

I agree with having a shed right outside the back door. Someone can scrounge some old shipping crates, used framing lumber etc and build one. Mine has old galvanized vertical siding for a roof and is built with 2x4's, corner posts are treated 4x4's set in concrete. I finaly installed the floor last spring, framed it out of 2x4's and 1/2" interior ply I got from work, part of a shipping crate that was headed to the dumpster. Stacked bricks leftover from the chimney at key points support the floor framing. Stained the ply with some left over deck sealer. All screwed together for strength and easy repair if needed. Laid heavy black plastic on the ground under the floor as a vapor barrier, this too was headed for the dumpster at work. The original floor was old pallets and masonite paneling. It was a little tough to walk on but kept the wood off the ground until I tore it out. Our local newspaper gives away pallets, they receive rolls of newsprint on them, you just have to call ahead so someone can meet you at their dock.

You can start small and improve it over time. 8ft X 8ft and 6 1/2 feet tall inside will store a little over 3 cords.

I"m with you on minimizing the movement of wood. I've been advised to drag firewood into the garage to dry out, and thought that just dumb. Someone on here pointed out that outside is better for drying, so now I can explain my laziness scientifically. Bought four sets of Stack-Its and some $2 2x4's and made acceptable firewood racks (will probably rebuild a little better next fall. My house is built into a hillside, and the upstairs (north) side has a porch the length of the house (about 40' long by 8' deep). Stacked wood a layer deep agains the wall on both sides of the door, 10' long, and don't even miss the space it takes. Put another 10' rack under the deck by the downstairs door (stove is downstairs). These are my make-do woodsheds, for which I am most grateful. When our icestorm hit, rather than tarp the stack, I was busily tacking a tarp up to the underside of the deck when my son looked at what I was doing and asked why I didn't just put it across the topside of the deck. "Shut up," I explained.

I have a utility sled I use to pull wood in from the stacks (one I'm working off of now is about 80' from house, somewhat downhill. That sled is also my mobile wood cart--I have a tile floor in the sunroom, and just pull the sled right through the door to the rack in the sunroom (also made with Stack-Its--just smaller 2x4s). The interior stack holds about 2-4 days' worth of wood, depending upon the temps. Sometimes I'll pull the wood up the hill, split it, drop it in the sled and pull it inside w/o it even stopping at the stacks. Falling in the direction of my work. Just brought in a load, and it's so cold, I had to move because I was getting a chill sitting next to it while it warmed up.

Next year I'd like to get some birch in here, and for that I'll probably put in a woodshed, but whatever I do, I want to plan it with a `fall in the direction of my work' policy. Exactly as said above, start small and improve it over time. But don't not start just because you don't have it all perfect from the outset. Do what you can, learn as you go, get better over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.