The humble beginnings of my woodshed.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

I'm NOT done with the living room project, but a guy at work had some Sandy damage and had an emergency job for me. A HUGE white pine had blown partway over in his backyard, nearly missing his recently built addition, and he needed it gone before it fell the whole way over. I was supposed to just go and 'look' it over, but I threw the saws in the truck and went out last Saturday morning to hurry up and get it down. I had to wait on some stones that I had recently mortared to 'set up' on the hearth before I could do any work on the fireplace that morning, so I went ahead and took advantage of the 2 hours I had and went to this job. The homeowner dealt with all the branches, that was the deal. I, in turn, took the entire trunk for boards to be used in my upcoming woodshed project (slated to begin this summer, if all goes to plan). Didn't get any pics of the actual job, I wanted to but my phone had a 'boo-boo" (went through the washing machine.....long story). Finally got some pics of the logs on my trailer. The butt log (top log) is around 30" diameter at the base......lots of good siding boards in these logs. We have around 10 pine jobs (most of them are really big trees) slated for this winter, I'll be making 2x4's, 2x6's and 2x8's out of some of those trees later this winter. The logs on the trailer will be going to my buddy's mill later in January.....

2012-12-23_12-17-37_83.jpg 2012-12-23_12-17-47_290.jpg

2012-12-23_12-17-58_695.jpg

Yep, that's a big pine tree. oughta make some nice lumber. Now get your azz back to that living room.:eek: A C

Great looking pine. I'm keeping my eyes open,one of these days I'll grab some pine to mill.Will be a nice 'vacation' compared to the usual hard stuff I get.On Thursday's local CL Free Stuff listing,someone had a 20" diameter pine blowdown in their yard from the blizzard free for the taking.Sounded like it was a real mess,judging by their description.I might've been more interested if they had at least 1 clear pic in the ad.No pics I'll generally pass,unless I know the person (certain tree service) or its decent logs with no brush or cleanup.

Now go take a break,will ya's? Its Christmas. ;)

Looks like a fun project. Sawmills thrown into the mix make it that much better.

You are ahead of me on the materials here is a look at mine. I'm a bit behind ya.

WhitePineSeedling(1).jpg

Stop reading this and get back to work.;)

This site is soley responsible for 20% of your labor slowdowns for your project. Way to go though, it is looking great.

Looks like you made out on the deal S.O., it will make for boards.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice haul... :)

You my friend have a full plate. !!!

Looking forward to the finished pics of the Fireplace/Hearth. Awesome work.

Reactions: ScotO
Good Scott. How long will you let those boards dry before starting the wood shed?

Nice ...................what length did ya cut them ?
Got to get back to the TV now Scott and see if the Bengals can hold out;)
Timmy, I made them between 9 and 10 foot long, I plan on making the walls of my woodshed 9' high. Didn't watch the game, DV-R'ED it for later. Should I watch the game or delete it, we should know the outcome by now!

Well Scott, you felled a pine...........and the Bengals felled a Steelers team......
actually I'm glad they are done for the year.......what a pathetic season.

Now I can bandwagon another team right through the Superbowl!!

Anybody but the Cowboys or Ravens!!

They'll have at least 7 months stickered and stacked....being they'll be used for siding on the shed, I can afford them to shrink after being put up as the shed walls will be gapped for air to get in them.........

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
They'll have at least 7 months stickered and stacked....being they'll be used for siding on the shed, I can afford them to shrink after being put up as the shed walls will be gapped for air to get in them.........
What size are you building it? What type of foundation, skids or pier blocks?

What size are you building it? What type of foundation, skids or pier blocks?
I'm going to sink 8x8 treated posts into the ground and my buddy has an old deck that we're tearing out......were going to try and take it out in sections, that will become the floor of the shed. I want to raise it off of the ground at LEAST 1 foot or so.....maybe more. I think I'm going to make it around 1/2 the size of my wood pile (around 12' x 30') and 9' high. I ought to be able to get a nice chunk of wood in there, eh?

Looks like a fun project. Sawmills thrown into the mix make it that much better.

You are ahead of me on the materials here is a look at mine. I'm a bit behind ya.

WhitePineSeedling(1).jpg

Stop reading this and get back to work.;)

This site is soley responsible for 20% of your labor slowdowns for your project. Way to go though, it is looking great.
You have NO IDEA how true that is! But, it's also been a blessing as it has lit the 'fire' under my arse to stay with it all this time......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Seriously.... Stop it. You are making the rest of us look bad. :p

Good start scotty
Many a wood shed has been built from fresh rough cut lumber.
Great for siding too, shrinks up in a year or so to allow for air movement.

Steelers have a new offensive coordinator next year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.