The "I Did The Week On Wood Club"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
Probably nothing unusual for lots of folks here, but I just got my system up and running exactly a week ago. It's been an excellent week to see if I can actually leave the oil off completely, and I did. However, I think my wood isn't optimum, and I got up and stoked in the middle of the night most nights. I loaded at 11 last night and let it go out during the night. The house wasn't bad this morning, but it's been slow bringing the temperature up.

A little oil would undoubtedly make a difference in recovery time, but we're managing to avoid it so far.

Congratulations. What kind of boiler do you have?

You'll no doubt figure out how to get more out of your wood as you learn how to operate the boiler more efficiently.

Congratulations Rory, I have a Tarm Solo 40, I loaded at 9:30 and got up at midnight and added wood. Nice bed of coals to relight at 6:00. Eric is right, it takes a Little time but you will figure out what works best. When it is really cold out I usually get up and check the house anyway so no big deal to throw in a couple of sticks.My oil ran out back in Sept. Never did buy anymore, in fact I haven't tied the oil boiler into the system.Eventually I will but I ran out of money. Then again I may never even bother.

Rory,

It takes some time to get used to the system, I have been running mine for about 1 week, Thursday night -24, I got up at 2 AM and added wood, When I got up added more, my wife added wood once during the day and finally storage hit 170*. Last night I put 3 pieces of wood in at 9 PM, at 8 AM I loaded the boiler and haven't added any all day. I am thinking I will have to fire it up again around 9 PM tonight. My house isn't tight but is seems you need to get your storage temp to atleast 170 (lower portion of tank) before things get better.

Until this AM I was wondering what the advantage of storage was, as it looks right know, I will use less wood this week then I would have with my wood stove and oil furnace with 20* for a low temp.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.