The Ideal Steel is loving white pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
This is my first year using pine. I love it. It lights off quick and makes good long heat. I'm not sure how much of that is the stove, but it really is a great firewood. This is coming from somebody with a 3 year supply of locust, oak, ash, cherry, hackberry, and mulberry.

The pine is a lot more work to process and doesn't stack as nice, but I would love to have more of it. The drying time is the best part.

My question is what are the pine/spruce variety to look for or avoid in Pennsylvania? Any that are easier to process than white pine? I split by hand.

Attachments

• 20160403_081815.jpg
    20160403_081815.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: D8Chumley
Subscribing... I got some 1.5 year seasoned white pine I've been using at various times this season but that's the only Pine I have. Had about 3/4 cord, probably used about half this year. I also would like to get more, good stuff

This is my first year using pine. I love it. It lights off quick and makes good long heat. I'm not sure how much of that is the stove, but it really is a great firewood. This is coming from somebody with a 3 year supply of locust, oak, ash, cherry, hackberry, and mulberry.

The pine is a lot more work to process and doesn't stack as nice, but I would love to have more of it. The drying time is the best part.

My question is what are the pine/spruce variety to look for or avoid in Pennsylvania? Any that are easier to process than white pine? I split by hand.

How long did you find it took the white pine to be dry?

Here are some random pine samples from my trees around the house. It looks like they are all white pine?

I just reloaded with some more white pine. I engaged the cat right away and shut the stove down quickly. 10 minutes later the heat is climbing with a black box and occasional ghost flames. This stuff is incredible. Almost zero babysitting.

Attachments

• 20160403_113400.jpg
    20160403_113400.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 20160403_113736.jpg
    20160403_113736.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 155
Pic 2 is Doug fir I think. Or blue spruce, hard to see on iPad

Interesting. I guess maybe they are spruce. I never looked into it before. It's not a blue spruce. Does spruce burn better than pine?

I have no experience with any pine except white. Maybe someone else will chime in and let us know

Not pine. looks much like spruce from here

That could be norway spruce
It's not eastern white pine. EWP has 3-5 inches long needles almost always in groups of 5.
I cut a colorado spruce down a year ago but haven't tried it yet.
I cut some kind of fir that was an an ornamental lawn tree 2 years ago and it actually burns pretty good. Certainly lasts a bit longer than EWP.

That could be norway spruce
It's not eastern white pine. EWP has 3-5 inches long needles almost always in groups of 5.
I cut a colorado spruce down a year ago but haven't tried it yet.
I cut some kind of fir that was an an ornamental lawn tree 2 years ago and it actually burns pretty good. Certainly lasts a bit longer than EWP.

I've burned a bit of just about every kind of native softwood here in Maine -- hemlock, Scotch pine, eastern white pine, fir and I think I had some spruce. They seem to burn fairly similar . . . some lasts a bit longer than others.

I personally like burning softwood in the spring and fall . . . when you need that quick, hot fire, but don't necessarily need to have the stove pumping out all kinds of heat for the long haul. In fact, as of late, I've been burning a fair amount of pine and poplar.

Like others have said . . . the needles shown belong to a spruce . . . norway or white I would guess. Crush the needles in your hand and if your hand smells like a cat peed on them you have, without a doubt, white (aka cat) spruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.