The Infamous Glowing Vermont Casting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
VC Encore NC
About 25 feet of stainless pipe
Primarily maple

Late last night I woke up to that smell of hot metal. Right under the flue collar the metal was glowing read and the Everburn was roaring. It was -7 °F , the thermometer was well within normal limits on the stovetop and the pipe (brand new thermo), the bypass was closed, air was cracked just a hair and the flue (key) damper was open. I shut the air down, capped the primary in the back and the Everburn stalled. Five minutes later I took the cap off, closed the flue damper 2/3rds and things cooled off. I went back to bed about 30 minutes later.

The outside temp is the factor that seems to have caused this situation twice in the past. It is frustrating that the night I need that stove pumping are the ones I need to worry about it's performance most.

Moral of the story-one has to have complete control of the draft on these stoves and hold the reins pretty tight on superdraft nights.

Other thoughts?

It sure would be nice if VC got their act together.

Sounds like a thermal sensor should control the everburn intake!

So that bad boy was just burning woodgas? That sounds pretty efficient, too bad it over-fired.
If that was stable it seems like a real efficient way to run a stove.

BrowningBAR said:
It sure would be nice if VC got their act together.

Haven't heard of any change in design or materials used in these stoves. Until that happens, the downdraft units seem to be destined to be a problem sooner or later.

Another nail in their coffin. They sure do look nice though.

Highbeam said:
Another nail in their coffin. They sure do look nice though.

Hey, after things calmed down and I was hanging out on the couch waiting to go back to bed, the deep blue secondaries and the red coals were nice to watch with all the lights out.

I love the way the stove looks in the room, and otherwise it keeps us toasty (with the blower), but once again I am giving serious thought to selling it this spring and bringing something else in.

Northern NH Mike said:
but once again I am giving serious thought to selling it this spring and bringing something else in.

I believe that is a good idea.

I feel your pain! I love the looks of the VC, love the top loading. BUT it was very nerve racking! I actually did not have any real problems with mine. I did have only 2 glowing collars that I knew of, usually when the stove was run hard and cold weather. I just don't trust the construction. Way, way to many gaskets and the everburn refractory is way to brittle. I like the theory of the everburn. Burns very hot very clean and keeps the heat in the stove and flue. With an interior masonry chimney I like to take advantage of that. I think of the everburn as a modified cat system. If the refractory was more durable and lasts it would be great. The issue I didn't like is the VC draft, could not be shut down, so it seemed with my set up. The only was was to block the opening.

I'm still learning the Englander. So I still watch it like a hawk when I'm home, usually in the evening for a few hours, but I burn 24/7. I'm very confident that when the stove is shut down I don't have to worry, no capping the primary. Even the other night when it was -10*F with steady winds of 30 MPH. I didn't sleep well, new stove, didn't know how it was going to handle it. No problems what so ever. The wind seemed to make the stove draft harder but with the primary shut down all the way it held temps fine.

Good luck with the switch over. My problem is no one will give any thing for my 1.5 year Defiant. I've got someone interested but the will only give $500. But something is better than nothing, right.

Rowski said:
Good luck with the switch over. My problem is no one will give any thing for my 1.5 year Defiant. I've got someone interested but the will only give $500. But something is better than nothing, right.

I suppose if I couldn't unload it for a reasonable price I could install it in the garage. I need a work space and the unheated garage is just collecting junk these days.

IF VC ever got their act together, any chance of some type of retrofit to close that primary down automatically?

I thankngod everyday i got that Dutchwest 2479 piece of crap off my hearth And got a real stove. I almost feel bad putting it up for sale only for someone else to go through the hell i went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.