The insert is paying off big time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Got the 1st gas statement that was a full month running on this insert. Cut the bill by 75% compared to last year and the temps according to the gas company were 8 degrees colder on avergae this year. I am still running the furnace to take the chill off in the morning and I have gas HW and cook stove so I still used a bit of gas. But a $50 gas bill in winter has me stoked!

How many therms/BTUs vs. historical is more telling than just price. Prices fell below $3/mmbtu, none of us would burn wood if we could buy it at wholesale price.

That sounds right about average I would say. I was burning about 1000 gals of oil prior to installing insert. Now it's about 275-300 gallons of oil a year to heat domestic hot water. It's a great feeling knowing my investment has been paid off at this point and the rest is true savings over prior years with oil heat. You'll be there in a matter of time as well!

BASOD said:
How many therms/BTUs vs. historical is more telling than just price. Prices fell below $3/mmbtu, none of us would burn wood if we could buy it at wholesale price.

Guess I should have said I cut the usage by 75%. But the therm price has remained the same so the bill was cut by 75% as well.

BASOD said:

Correction: Some of us would not burn wood if you could buy wholesale. As for our house, we would continue to burn wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.