The installation HAS BEGUN (gulp!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Okay, I've got the liner laid out across the great room floor and, after several hours work, it is straight! I've got the insulation laid out under it and am about to start spraying glue and taping tape.

The sweep said it would be a tight fit in a couple of places, but I'm gonna try it myself. Twenty-five feet of insulated liner is gonna be more than I think I can manage by myself and that's a darn steep roof!

Questions: How would you devise something to hook to the end of the liner to help pull it down the chimney? I don't have a pulling cone and don't know anyone who does.

Should the insulation cover the last inch of the pipe at both ends or should there be an opening left for clamps and the like?

Anything else I need to know? Thanks--

Reporting:
Got the liner wrapped in insulation, taped and the wire mesh put on. (Didn't go as well for me as for the guy on YouTube.) The insulation seam has a gentle spiral to it instead of the seam straight down the side--hope that isn't a critical. The mesh is anchored to the bottom end of the liner with the band clamp, but I cannot get the mesh tight. It is stretched and all, but there are 1" wrinkles where I pulled on it to move it down the insulation. Is this supposed to be tight to the outside of the insulation?

I checked four different places along the finished package for circumference so to calculate the diameter and came out with 7.48" diameter, which only gives me .52" wiggle room. Does that sound like enough inside an 8" chimney pipe that has some slight bends in it? The insulation is on as tight as I could get it.

Now, the next challenge is to get it from my great room floor into the chimney. I think I'm gonna have to round up some help. That insulation 'bout tripled the weight of the liner! Should be interesting standing up on top 'o th' chimney in the wind tomorrow! I'll report when it's done.

If anyone has tips, tricks, warnings, etc., please advise. I don't want to screw this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.