The Installer Recommended...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JSoko

Mar 17, 2015
Pine Log Georgia
Hello from Northwest Georgia
Looking for some help & answers.
I'm replacing my inside prefab fireplace before the end of spring. Currently I have a back to back set-up, one inside the other outside on the covered deck.
My Wonderful Wife does not like the idea of a free standing stove in the great room (18' vaulted ceiling)
I hope to change her mind.
I would like the free standing stove.

The installer recommended a "Zero Clearance Fire Place" due to the tight fit of the back to back set-up.
I asked about heat out put, he said "it will heat just as good as a free standing stove"
I asked how can this be as it seems to be no difference other than a door than the original fireplace,
his answer "it has a 3 speed blower, and if this was my house I would go with the Zero Clearance"
NOTE: he said an insert won't work due to not enough height of the existing fireplace.

So if I will indeed get the same heat output as a free standing stove, I'll keep the Wife happy. I just know we will probably hate that blower noise, as this is the room where we watch TV and gather with family and friends.

Looking forward to your advice & suggestions on which type I should get that will heat well.

PS: I have been reading your Forum for some time now and did an introduction yesterday and joined up.

Last edited:
Ask the installer if he's talking about an EPA Rated ZC Fireplace. If he IS then it can be just as good of a heater as a free-standing unit.
If he ISN'T, then he's talking about what you ALREADY have in there & you know that is worthless as a heat source.
Heat & Glo Northstar is the EPA Rated ZC box I'm most familiar with & it's a kick-A$$ heating unit. There are others comparable.

Thanks DAKSY, will do
I'm waiting for him to send me info on the ZC that he sells

Also hats off to you Sir for your participation in the Patriot Guard Riders

Last edited:
Reactions: DAKSY
installer came by today
going to look at a High Valley 2500 tomorrow at his shop
stove , ZC cabinet, around 16' triple wall, remove old fireplace and pipe
his price is $4500 - $4800
I have no clue if this is a good price or not

Doesn't sound AWFULLY bad, but I'm not familiar with the unit.
IIRC, the Northstar is $4K PLUS
& the Chimney is AT LEAST another $1K.
None of those cost include installation.

To Continue: I went with the High Valley 2500 in a ZC cabinet [click on the photo to see a larger view]
The High Valley 2500 replaced one of the fireplaces
I made the wood mantel & up-rights from a tree out back, they have dried and opened up some

1111150909-00_zpslbfy7jtj.jpg

I made a mantel out of an Oak back in the Spring
I watched it sway with no leaves back last winter during high wind, it was a little to close to the house so I took it down

Oak%20Tree%202015_zpslkmdpsub.jpg

100_3674_zpsd8uvcw6z.jpg

took the two short ones to a saw mill for a perfect cut to fit the stove, they asked for $20

100_3676_zpsb7idize0.jpg

I cut the top piece with that little Homelite; my little saw with a used chain seemed to cut the straightest with not much chatter; may have had something to do with ripping the log a opposed to cutting it.
A sharp chain did not do as good

100_3680_zps0avqkpkt.jpg

100_3682_zpsjshcupz8.jpg

100_3698_zpsksfqas3t.jpg

I took the uprights to a saw mill for a perfect cut to fit the stove surround and the cut-out in the hardwood floor where the tile goes

100_3702_zps2von3jop.jpg

the wood has since dried and has some nice cracks giving it character (see first photo)

I have used this stove twice, the first time 2 weeks ago and again today; it did a fine job heating, my wife said "it's ridiculously HOT in here"
we have 18 foot ceiling in the living room/kitchen
the AC return grill is up near the top in front of the stove, it's a big one. There are 3 others returns in the back rooms, I sealed them off and turned the AC fan on and the whole house will get to 65 - 68 degrees depending.

The only problem I have with this stove is the side glass gets black in about 1 hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haven
Good looking oak mantel! You are a man after my own heart, making an oak beam with a chain saw. I have done quite a bit of that.

Thank You Gentlemen ,
it was a labor of Love
on the mantel with the fresh wood,
the key was wearing out several sheets of 120 on a palm sander followed with alternating coats of Minwax Clear Polyurethane

Status
Not open for further replies.