The jotul F100 is heating up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch

Dec 13, 2010
northern maine
well, i have done my break in fires and the smell has gone away.
did my 1st real fire last night, wasnt to cold out 62 with a low of 44.
so i figured it would be worth it to get warmed up for the night.

really did a great job! i think it was 80 in the house before going to bed.
and was still 72 in the morning.

but my only complaint is i couldnt get the stove pipe temps above 320ish. with alot of time spent in the 250 range.
stove temps were decent at 400-425 max. wasnt really feeding it alot maybe 4 smaller splits was all it took.

but it did seem to take alittle longer than i thought to get it up to temp. over 1 hour to get over 300 stove top i would say didnt really time it.
but once it got warm the house really got cozy.

anyway i wont ramble anymore just wanted to share my experience with this stove. isnt alot on here about it.

Good to see you back Lynch. I wonder if the draft is not that strong with the weather system over us now. It is damp with an east wind now and low pressure. That baby should get up to 500-550 without a problem in an hour or less. What is your total flue height? Maybe once the temps drop, the draft will pull harder. In a couple weeks the high pressure fronts from up north will make their regular appearance and kick the season into gear. Keep us posted.

Congrats Lynch but it's hard to believe without pics to prove it :)

Ray

Lynch said:
well, i have done my break in fires and the smell has gone away.

stove temps were decent at 400-425 max. .

congrats Lynch,
something tells me that smell will be back the first time you hit that 500-600 range, if you havn't already.
good luck.

well the chimney is 10.5 feet of metelbestos and 5 feet of single walled in the house
all straight up threw the attic. 3 feet or little more outside the roof line.

yeah maybe with the weather changing it will get better.

ill try and get some pics on here.

Draft will definitely get stronger as the outdoor temps drop. But you have a decent setup. Are you backing down the air supply once the stove starts warming up or is this with the air control mostly open?

Also, how well seasoned is the wood?

that was with air 100% open and even had the door open at times. i did start to close the air some what when in got to 400. but the fire just slow abit

wood was alittle wet from the rain we had but should be in pretty good shape.
it was birch css last winter and some sugar maple i bought this year.
the maple may not be ready for this year but its all i got , im going to try and mix in the birch which should be dryer.

hope this works out for me spent alot of money and time to get it all in order for this year!

It's a tough time of year . . . burning in the Fall is often not very typical of what you will experience when it gets really cold . . . oftentimes the temp inside is still fairly close to the temps outside and the draft is affected by this.

I think it was on Tuesday night when it was a bit chillier and raining out that I lit a fire . . . just some scrap lumber I had kicking around . . . and like you I had to leave the door open ajar for a bit before it really took off. As it was it took a while before the temps came up in both the stove pipe and on the stove . . . mainly because of the draft . . . although the small amount of wood I had in the firebox no doubt also played a part. Then again, it's the nature of the beast with cast iron, heck stoves in general, they heat up the space and take a bit to really start radiating the heat and make a difference in the room temp.

I should also mention that I didn't back down my air for quite a while since it took quite a while before I got up to temp . . .

i hope your right. plaining on using this stove alot this year.
and hopefully my wood is ready

looks like we are going to get cool down late this week
we'll see what happens this time around

Start that little dude with a firebox full of little stuff. When that burns down to coals, stuff it with the three splits that will fit in it on top of them and let'er rip. Up around 400 stove top temp cut the air back to half. The secondary flames will start over the top of the load. After it runs like that for a bit cut it back to a quarter and leave it there.

If the wood is good and dry it will roll for a couple of hours down to coals to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.