The last cleaning tool to add to your arsenal!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcynya

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2006
W Michigan
Don't know about you guys (and gals), but the inside of my XXV is dark and my lights are directly over the stove, which doesn't help.

After wrestling with scraper, vacuum and my droopy spotlight that would never stay in the right place, cast shadows, etc. I decided to use my head... Yup, why not? Coal miners do it, so why can't I?

Went to Wally World and found me a Coleman head light for 20 bucks. Has max lumen's of 70 and 3 settings. The lowest setting is plenty bright, saving on AAA batteries. It also has an adjustable angle to shine the light closer to your field of view.

Results - I saw parts of my stove I didn't even know existed. Inside has never been cleaner. Did a better job in less time! A must have if your stove has a lot of dark corners or if light is a challenge.

Xmas is coming, definitely put this on your list!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1480.jpg
    DSCN1480.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 750
Hey that's great! I have been using one hand to hold a flashlight all this time leaving only my other hand free for cleaning, etc. Using two hands would make a big difference, for my back too. Thanks for sharing!

It also has a red lens which is great when you haul out your telescope and need to read the sky chart. Almost reminds me of being on my submarine at night. Rig for red.

I have one that is similar, it is also a valuable tool for building computers.

Been using one for a couple yrs now. Read my quote in imacmans signature line (about your head in a stove). If your head can fit in your stove, you had better be able to see.

Leafblower, air compressor w/ nozzle and 18" of 1/4" flex tube attached, lint-eater, good scraper, bottle brush, small dryer lint brush, .30 caliber brush, and a shop vac. My favorite tools. I have about 30 other brushes, but mainly only use 2 of them.

The burn pot in my PF100 pellet furnace sits sideways and top of it is level with the top of the access door. Can't get my head in there. Only way to see down inside to inspect the bottom of the burn pot and the auger is with an inspection mirror. It is dark down there so this is what I use to light her up. It has 2 hi-intensity LEDs that are really bright and is flexible enough to reach to the bottom when clipped on the top of the burn pot.
It is a book light made by Mighty Bright. The Extraflex 2 model.

IIMightyBrightExtraflex2.jpg

I'm usually holding a little LED flashlight in my mouth when I clean the stove... this option looks to be much easier on the teeth.

hell with the light, I want that dang see through lid on my stove.

got mine at ll bean....works great and Free's up both hands...love it

chrisasst said:
hell with the light, I want that dang see through lid on my stove.

Haha. Is nice... That and the mirrored glass so you can't see the burn area when the stove off = priceless.

Eatonpcat said:
I take my burnpot out to the garage to scrape it...Is this uncommon to remove it from the stove??

Quadrafires burnpots are bolted in place. No removing here. But the Englander's plate I remove to scrape. Fahrenheits is removable. But have to use the control board and put it in maintenance mode to move the cleaning and burn grate mechanism to remove. Have not ran it enough to know what I will do. Its a 6 peice system. So I may not...

I've also been using one for sometime. Much easier cleaning the stove. I wear mine with my ear protection while running the ash vacuum.

Eatonpcat said:
I take my burnpot out to the garage to scrape it...Is this uncommon to remove it from the stove??

I take everything out of the burn chamber when I clean it, burn pot, agitator, ash pot and even the cast iron "wall" piece in the back. I use a Stanley 3 in 1 tripod flashlight and remove each beam (3 of them) and stick them in the heat exchanger tubed and then aim them into the stove. This really lights up the inside of the stove to ensure a good cleaning.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...5&SDesc=Stanley®+3-in-1+Tripod+LED+Flashlight

BradH70 said:
Eatonpcat said:

I take everything out of the burn chamber when I clean it, burn pot, agitator, ash pot and even the cast iron "wall" piece in the back. I use a Stanley 3 in 1 tripod flashlight and remove each beam (3 of them) and stick them in the heat exchanger tubed and then aim them into the stove. This really lights up the inside of the stove to ensure a good cleaning.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default...5&SDesc=Stanley®+3-in-1+Tripod+LED+Flashlight

Didn't know the back wall was removable...I will look into this the next time I clean...I may have to hit you up for some instructions!!

Quadrafires burnpots are bolted in place. No removing here. But the Englander’s plate I remove to scrape. Fahrenheits is removable. But have to use the control board and put it in maintenance mode to move the cleaning and burn grate mechanism to remove. Have not ran it enough to know what I will do. Its a 6 peice system. So I may not…

Thanks, I just assumed they could all be easily removed!! You know I'm a rookie and have alot to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.