The Last fire of the season. How much did you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
Still have under a cord of Cherry which we planned on burning this year.

Be careful Zap. You don't want to go and run out of wood. :lol:

We will have nothing left of the wood that we had planned to burn this year, we burned two cord of shoulder season wood early on an it looks like about 3.5 cord of Cherry,Sugar Maple and Beech but I'll have a final count once we are done.

This weekend the plan is cutting more white pine that is down for the shoulder season, we have next years cut but would like to be 2-3 years ahead on our shoulder season by the middle of April.

zap

Burned about 2.5 so far. Happy to include all my odd pieces that sat in a pile for 2-3 years. Getting ready to get the splitter going this weekend for 2014 season. Neighbor took down a mighty oak and for 20 bucks the workers moved it over to my driveway. Still consider that free wood!

I'm not complaining about our weather seeyal8r, but it's only March and we do live in Oklahoma. We could still have a gotcha snow storm.
This was my first year burning and I didn't get the stove in till mid November and while I had given it considerable thought I hadn't gotten any wood ahead so I've been scrounging for dry wood, cutting lots of standing dead, dead falls and trees that had been bulldozed. I was able to get maybe 10% of dry wood out of every cord I cut so I was constantly refilling my ready to burn stacks so just guessing I've burned about a cord to a cord and a half so far. Darned nice to not hear that old furnace running and racking up a gas bill.

Not done here yet. But, have burned almost 2 cords so far. About 1 cord less than last year. Forecast for 50 and 60's next week will have to see what's after that.

Can not remember a milder winter as long as I have been around. Gotta start cutting soon for last half of 2014. Had a buddy tell me he went fishing today and I don't mean on ice. He said he did not catch much but just the thought puts a smile on your face.

LArry in OK said:
I'm not complaining about our weather seeyal8r, but it's only March and we do live in Oklahoma. We could still have a gotcha snow storm.
This was my first year burning and I didn't get the stove in till mid November and while I had given it considerable thought I hadn't gotten any wood ahead so I've been scrounging for dry wood, cutting lots of standing dead, dead falls and trees that had been bulldozed. I was able to get maybe 10% of dry wood out of every cord I cut so I was constantly refilling my ready to burn stacks so just guessing I've burned about a cord to a cord and a half so far. Darned nice to not hear that old furnace running and racking up a gas bill.
Just looked up your stove. Nice looking steel stove. Looks like it is a beast. Welcome to the first year of burning and work on that wood supply.....you won't regret it. Seasoned wood is a pleasure to burn.

We are not done burning yet but the Robins have been back for about 10days. Won't be long. Winter has been so mild that hardly a week went by that there wasn't some hardy sole jigging for Walleyes and Sauger on the river. Turkey Vultures have been back for about a week. Anyone know where they winter? I haven't been able to find that info. They are sure skilled in the air.
Tom

Oakies need heat?

BB - Native Texan and have to mess with Oakies. It is just what Texans do for a pastime.

I thought Texans counted armadillos to pass the time. :)

A cord of softwood, and about 1/3 a cord of 4x4 pallet hardwood... Burning 24/7 since dec.
wed/thurs was the first time the stove went cold for something other than sweeping.

Like many, I'm not done yet either, but I burned about the same. The new (used) Resolute Acclaim in the basement used more than the CDW cat stove it replaced. Plus I was home all winter, and not traveling 4 or 5 weeks, so I kept at least one stove going, and only fired up the Monster in the Living Room, when the temps outside dropped into the teens or below.. so not too often.

Maybe burned 2.5 cord to 3 at most. The stoves have been cold the last two days, but I'll get at least one going this week-end as it is supposed to turn cold again.

The cold ain't over, but it'll be the real shoulder season pretty soon.

Givin all our stove hel! Early this winter ( china meltdown ) ( harman disaster ) we have only used about 2 cord which is pretty darn low. It also has an upside which is at least I have extra wood left over and short amount of time left to heat !

Pete

It was 70 degrees here yesterday, but dropping to 28 tonight and into the low 20s Sat night. Im definately not done burning yet. Havent put the furnace on all winter and went through about 3 cords here, give or take.

tfdchief said:
LArry in OK said:
Just looked up your stove. Nice looking steel stove. Looks like it is a beast. Welcome to the first year of burning and work on that wood supply.....you won't regret it. Seasoned wood is a pleasure to burn.

I'm very happy with the stove, there are a couple other forum members with the same stove. I was able to keep my house comfortable with it even during our brief forays into single digit and subzero temps. I doubt I could have gone all winter without the furnace running on the dry wood I was able to score if we hadn't had such a mild winter. I'm good to go for next year and going forward though but this season was a steep learning curve.

I usually burn 4 to 5 cords. This year, I've burned almost 3 cords so far. I'll be surprised if I end up
burning 3.5 cords. It's low 20's today with high in low 30's, but weekend will shoot up into the 60's.

Unfortunately, that leaves me with 1.5 cords of wood that I need to move from the site of my old pole
building (crushed by a tree), so that the new pole building can go up in early April.

Now the forecast is for 19 tonight.

We're still a long ways to go before we're done burning . . . I figure things should slow up in April or May.

firefighterjake said:
We're still a long ways to go before we're done burning . . . I figure things should slow up in April or May.

Yup, Jake is right on the money there. We've gone to only burning in the mornings and evenings most of the time though. So far 3 cords burned, we'll probably go through another 1/2 cord, maybe 1 cord.

Not done by a long shot Brother! Although, I have burned about 2.2 tons of tha small wood, LOL! ( o)(o ) I sure miss those wood stoves, but pellets are a lot easier to load. Approaching the last couple of months of the season, I'll look back and say I learned a new thing with the pellets and still wish to have a wood stove to enjoy. I don't think I'd ever go back to strictly wood, only because of my wife. She is alergic to the wood and even touching some of it would make her hands itchy. It's the mold spores and especially birch that get her. She would have headaches all the time and her eyes would swell up a bit, just like during alergy season. This year has been better for her without the wood in the house. I would like a wood stove in my living room someday still, one that I could burn whenever I felt like looking at a fire or when the power went out. My neighbors burn wood in their smoke dragons, one in an old VC and the other an old Jotul 8. Man!!!! Do they ever smoke out the place!! I talked to the guy up the hill (w the Jotul), he said he only burns about 3-4 cords a year and couldn't justify the cost of a new one! This year he's gone through two so far. The guy next door is a bit worse with his smoke, maybe because of his proximity, but on low wind days you can see the cloud of smoke going up the street like a rolling fog! I don't mind it though, the smell doesn't really get in the house, only sometimes can we detect a slight smell of smoke through the kitchen hood vent (a very slight odor, that my wife pointed out.) I can only imagine the state of his chimney at the end of the season. There are lots of people up here in Northern Mass who burn wood/pellets and I'm sure we're all glad this Winter was so mild. Just don't slack on the wood supply, because next year could be much worse! :)

Take care!

I don't think it's over either. I burned about 7 cords of hardwood last year...barely 3 this year and half of that was cedar an hemlock.

So far we've done about 5 face cord and around 3/4 pallet of ecobricks. Not done I'm sure, still have to burn at night with it in the 40's and 50's daytime temps. With the lake, I'm betting nighttime burns will last at least to May.

Last fire of the season? Not here! It dipped down to -23°C this morning so I think we have some more burning to do yet.

BrotherBart said:
zapny said:
Still have under a cord of Cherry which we planned on burning this year.

Be careful Zap. You don't want to go and run out of wood. :lol:

For us burning more wood is cleaning up the property, it's more work but the oil man last came Dec. 08, still have tree quarters of a tank left. All that pine I drove by in the rhino starts to become splits tomorrow.

The boss did say the boat will get used more this year even if I'm not on board.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.