The latest in high tech fire starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were can I get one!!!!

Reactions: ScotO
Soo many evil thoughts after watching that video! Hehe

But you're right that would make a great starter for the fireplace!

I can see both good and bad there. But as for fire starters, I'll stick with the super cedars. ;)
Heck, i'll stick with one strike anywhere match ,and a handful of very dry splitter trash . :)

I have a lot of squirrels on this place... ::-)

Reactions: ScotO
After watching that video, I think I'll sell my limbing saws. Heck, if you could boost one up to 5W, you'd be able to cut small branches off from the ground......

I'm in......

Reactions: BrianK
When can I buy one powerful enough to slice a tree in half?

That dream has been around since the sixties.

Tree-felling idea dies hard

"Despite the reduced ambitions of the scientific community in applying lasers to tree cutting, Laser Focus magazine ran a story in the May 15, 1965, issue, “World’s fair exhibit projects laser tree-clearing machine.” It seems that the technological visionaries for the General Motors Futurama exhibit at the 1964/1965 World’s Fair in New York City were not ready to let the idea die: in their “ride into tomorrow” exhibit, an insect-like laser tree cutter, designed to saw off trees at their base (see figure) preceded a massive jungle road-builder that was envisioned to make an express highway through densely wooded forests in one continuous operation.
The visionaries cannot be faulted for wanting to apply laser technology to tree cutting; they can only be faulted for not anticipating the high cost associated with high-power lasers. Despite the ability of today’s CO2 lasers to slice through 1/2-in.-thick wood at 85 in. per minute, their multiple-thousand-dollar price tag still cannot compete with a $200 chainsaw."

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Heck, if you could boost one up to 5W, you'd be able to cut small branches off from the ground......

I'm in......

Careful there Mr. Overkill:

News flash, pictures at 11

27 houses were set ablaze today when an arborist's laser used to trim tree limbs tipped over on a jobsite.

In addition there were 4 amputations and 3 blindings before the unit could be secured as well as over 1000 trees and shrubs damaged.

Fire officials are saying that the damage was minimalized because it was a cloudy day and that it was a blessing that there were only a few injuries.

Authorities are reviewing the scene as well as the arborists license
and insurance, damages are expected to run in the 10's of millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.