The Latest Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Had my eyes on this old dead oak tree - finally cut it down. About 36 inches across the long side of the stump. I ought to get a small truck load out of this one - what do you think... ;)

Bill

Attachments

• IMG-20111211-00042 - pic1.jpg
    IMG-20111211-00042 - pic1.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 396
Hard to tell from the picture how many leaders (potential widow-makers) it had left. (Glad none got you.)
The main stem looks to be good for a third or more of a cord.
Here's hoping you won't have to lug the splits/rounds far.

Looks like a great tree. Lots of Btu's!! Good job. Pat

Good BTU' s there and neat picture. I like the way the saw and Fiskars are ready for duty.

Yep, small truck load, But that depends on what's a large truck, small may be a 1 ton dually or an S-10. LOL :)
Either one you should get a load.
Good looking fire wood.
Just don't lift the rounds & screw your back up. Split it down to manageable pieces. ;)

big truck vs small truck:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 303
Good job cutting that tree. Always admired how straight and tall trees grow in other parts of the country. Here there is not a dense enough tree population for protection from the constant winds that would allow trees to develop long straight trunks.

leeave96 said:
Had my eyes on this old dead oak tree - finally cut it down. About 36 inches across the long side of the stump. I ought to get a small truck load out of this one - what do you think... ;)

Bill

Nice job Bill, I'm horrible at estimating but that looks like 1/3 of a cord of great wood.

zap

Looks like over 1/3 cord from here. :smirk:

Woody Stover said:
Looks like over 1/3 cord from here. :smirk:

thats what I'm seeing too. Maybe a good deal more.

wetwood said:
Good job cutting that tree. Always admired how straight and tall trees grow in other parts of the country. Here there is not a dense enough tree population for protection from the constant winds that would allow trees to develop long straight trunks.

Yes, we noticed that about Kansas. We get the same thing though in farming country. Trees in ditch lines and fence rows are nasty things to cut and split. That's why I am so happy living in the woods. Nice trees here.

Status
Not open for further replies.