The leaf blower strikes again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first instructional posting for the use of the leaf blower was posted by Krooser in Nov. of 2008, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29847/ "Cleaning your stove with a leaf blower...No Kidding"
In my opinion, this is still the best step by step instructional thread to follow when considering using a leaf blower for cleaning. In that thread, the issue of having the the stove door is addressed. Krooser quoted his dealer, (who informed him of this neat idea),

"The stoves fan don’t move while cleaning… at least not on my St Croix. The dealer recommends you open and close the door while doing it and to move the heat transfer tube scraper rod during the cleaning. I didn’t do this since I was alone when i did it. My dealer uses this technique on all the stoves they sell… Harman, Lopi, S. Croix, Thelen and more…. part of their standard cleaning service.
Any blower with vacuum will work… your adapter may differ from mine but I would imagine it would still be simple.
This deal is so simple… and effective everyone with a stove should give serious consideration to trying it. "

For the past 3 burning seasons, I have used this method without a "known" problem. I do add one thing. A remote switch which allows me to be inside with the stove, and control turning the leaf blower vac on and off while I am doing my thing opening and closing and cleaning. The remote I use is one of those cheap green remotes used to turn Christmas lights on and off. It has a three prong plug. The remote itself is very small and can slip into any pocket.
I use duct tape to hold the leaf blower in place. You can easily have the whole thing done, all picked up and packed away in less than 30 min. No mess inside as the vac mode sucks all the loose ash right outside. My leaf blower cleaning is done after every ton of pellets burned. The "smoke monster" isn't as impressive with that frequent cleaning schedule, but the stove sure burns nice and hot!

The exhaust fan on both of our Whitfields will spin along when the leaf blower is used.

Thye dont spin nearly as fast as they normaly do when running, but they do spin.

I was concerned at first that the extreme volume of air and the high velocity that it goes through the stove might overspeed the fans.

Nope, not an issue at all.

Snowy

I have an insert, with no "T". Has anyone ever hooked up an electric leaf blower in the house to blow up the chimney? There seems to be no way to clean the insert in the house with a leaf blower, but maybe the chimney?

forya said:
I have an insert, with no "T". Has anyone ever hooked up an electric leaf blower in the house to blow up the chimney? There seems to be no way to clean the insert in the house with a leaf blower, but maybe the chimney?

If your stove is an insert the only way to use a leaf blower is if the liner goes all the way up chimney and you do the job from the outside.

Other than that you have to use a strong shop vac (don't forget the drywall/hepa filter) and do it from inside after disconnecting the liner from the stove. You can also do the liner from the inside but it involves running a brush up and getting somewhat of a mess in the area the insert sits in.

I did my end-of-season cleaning this afternoon, was kinda disappointed that I didn't see a stream of dark soot/ash come out of the leaf blower like I've seen in several videos, just a little white/gray ash that came out when I first kicked the leaf blower on. I brushed the pipe out thoroughly with the Soot Eater before running the leaf blower, I burned just over a ton this season (since late December, when the furnace was first installed), I guess keeping ahead of the cleaning and vacuuming almost daily kept the soot/ash inside the PL vent to a minimum. There was also hardly any ash on the exhaust blower fan, probably could've waited until after next season to clean it. The OAK inlet and exhaust outlet are sealed with foil tape, hopper has been cleared of all pellets (let the furnace run for 36 hours to burn everything left in the hopper). I'm off to Ft. Myers, FL next week for the rest of the month, so the pellet furnace is officially retired this season.

:)

ChrisWNY said:
. I'm off to Ft. Myers, FL next week for the rest of the month, so the pellet furnace is officially retired this season.

:)
You have a safe and enjoyable vacation. All that cleaning really paid off for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.