The leak seems to be coming from the stove exhaust vent in the back....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with a harman stove the inner pipe liner goes inside the tail piece and the outer pipe goes over the tail piece which seals the 1/4 inch gap and seal with the silicone you apply to the tail piece.with a st croix and others the inner pipe goes over the tail piece and leaves the 1/4 inch gap open. in a perfect world where all the joints are perfectly sealed you will not get smoke from this area. but normally this is not the case. i learned this the hard way. i tried to save you the trouble of going through the whole learning curve. seal that gap and smoke will be gone!

will try now, will be hard because I need to do it from INSIDE the stove through the side panels, tight area to put a caulk gun so I would need to do it by fingers and still not much area to turn hand freely.

geek said:
on your install, is that area exposed so you see from the back?
Mine is not, it is just inside the back cover.......I will try to pour lot of silicone around, hope I can cover the whole thing.

Is it "normal" for the adapter to leak from the inner side ?? I mean, I wonder how many people have had this exact issue with the adapter...

Me! Mine leaked like crazy. Siliconed twice. Still leaked. Dug out the tape. Fixed. From what the Duravent tech told me, Is the inner pipe is leaking at the joint. It wound not go up the tee so it comes back at the adapter. It is fixed now so they say. And is not an issue with the Pellet Vent Pro pipe. Not sure my next install will have Duravent. All I hear is leaks, leaks, leaks!

geek said:
surprised to see you didn't need to seal the tee cap at the bottom.

Had to tape every connection and the bottom of the T cap. Looks terrible but it worked. I am going to buy Selkirk and replace.

eschills said:
geek said:
surprised to see you didn't need to seal the tee cap at the bottom.

Had to tape every connection and the bottom of the T cap. Looks terrible but it worked. I am going to buy Selkirk and replace.

Keep us posted when you do. I know when I have to take mine apart again. I will be going thru the same old seal and tape.

jtakeman said:
.... And is not an issue with the Pellet Vent Pro pipe. Not sure my next install will have Duravent....

jay, mine is the Pro, so it looks like it is also an issue with it...

geek said:
jtakeman said:
.... And is not an issue with the Pellet Vent Pro pipe. Not sure my next install will have Duravent....

jay, mine is the Pro, so it looks like it is also an issue with it...

I guess the Pro has the same issue's too. So they said wrong again. My faith in DV isn't getting any better! >:-(

The tape seems to be the best fix. Can you tape the joint?

just finished putting lots of silicone the best I could (tight area from inside the stove), will wait a couple hours so it gets dry and will report back.

thanks Jay for the early b-day, it's tomorrow the 6.... :)

I think I got the leak under control FINALLY....!!!!!

like rickwa suggested, I sealed the big gap for the inner pipe and no smoke from there, however I saw just a mist of smoke coming out from the T again, this time where its horizontal and vertical pipe sections meet, so I put foil tape temporary last night (notice mac's picture where he put tape in that area).
This morning I removed the temporary tape and I ran my finger with a little bit of silicone to cure the problem.

Thanks to all for the tips and help...

Status
Not open for further replies.