The Life and Death of Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem67

Nov 6, 2007
Southern Ohio
New to burning here, so please forgive what is possibly a dumb question. My neighbor had a huge oak topple in his yard.... gave it to me because he doesn't like burning wood (has two fireplaces, but hasn't used them in over 10 years!!). Anyway... to my question:

After I removed his tree (got quite a load... possibly enough for all next season!), I told him I'd be adding more as I find it. He told me that firewood gets "pulpy" or "punky" if it's more than a year or two old. I've seen what he's talking about, but I thought that if it was stored properly, firewood would last much longer than that. And I'm no spring chicken... so I'd like to "stock up" with as much as possible (found a great source) while I'm still physically able to do it!

SO.... What's the word on the street about firewood "longevity"???

Thanks!!

Sem67 said:
New to burning here, so please forgive what is possibly a dumb question. My neighbor had a huge oak topple in his yard.... gave it to me because he doesn't like burning wood (has two fireplaces, but hasn't used them in over 10 years!!). Anyway... to my question:

After I removed his tree (got quite a load... possibly enough for all next season!), I told him I'd be adding more as I find it. He told me that firewood gets "pulpy" or "punky" if it's more than a year or two old. I've seen what he's talking about, but I thought that if it was stored properly, firewood would last much longer than that. And I'm no spring chicken... so I'd like to "stock up" with as much as possible (found a great source) while I'm still physically able to do it!

SO.... What's the word on the street about firewood "longevity"???

Thanks!!

As long as it stays dry it should be fine..

Ray

That really depends on storage . I have seen 125yr old wood come out or the lake dry two to dust 20 years. The wood used in building this 65 year old house is dry and has no rot. I have seen buried wood 70++ years old dry out an be burnable. If your wood pile looks like a compost pile any wood in it will rot. Wood in contact with the ground and damp will rot. How long fire wood will last will depend on storage, the recondition it is in when split and the climate you live in.

SO.... What’s the word on the street about firewood “longevity”???

It's got a long shelf life so long as it is stacked off the ground and it gets air on it. Wood goes punky when left in a situation where it cannot dry out like laying on the ground. Someone gave me some oak that was split and stacked 4 years ago...no punky stuff in the pile.

Keep on gettin' while the gettin' is good.

ok but, i have been splitting a tree that fell in the woods the past few weeks, it is solid oak wood, but it seems
the outter 1.5" is a different color/type like more of a tan. like it is going to be prone to punk out. its hard now though. i'll be curious to see how it is
next winter.

ok but, i have been splitting a tree that fell in the woods the past few weeks

Just curious, did anyone hear it? :coolsmile:

it is solid oak wood, but it seems the outter 1.5” is a different color/type like more of a tan. like it is going to be prone to punk out. its hard now though. i’ll be curious to see how it is
next winter.

You can get wood that is in the early stages of getting punky and have the core of the wood still be good. You can trim off the punky part if you'd like (recommended...less mess) but the inner meat will still be good.

moondoggy said:
ok but, i have been splitting a tree that fell in the woods the past few weeks, it is solid oak wood, but it seems
the outter 1.5" is a different color/type like more of a tan. like it is going to be prone to punk out. its hard now though. i'll be curious to see how it is
next winter.

That is the sap wood. It will have more of a tendency to rot but only if there is moisture present to help it along.

Since it is solid now it will most likely stay that way.

J.P.

thanks guys, nope i never heard it fall.
but this being my first year as a burner..... i was smiling like christmas day when i walked out back and saw it.
the first 8ft of the tree dirt inside, after that was a few feet of good wood w/outter rim discoloring,, then perfect wood.
so psyched looking at/starting next years wood piles, i was glad to see SEM67 post w/info.
SEM67- liek they said, just keep it off the gound, and so air can get around it
think i am going ot cover the tops of the piles as to not assist in what my soon be punk. i was nto goign to cover until fall.

I've cut down dead trees on my property that were exposed to wind and some sun, and were damp and punky inside. Why do dead trees get punky? Is is because of a lack of sun to keep them dry?

Also, do you guys burn punky wood after it dries out?

woodjack said:
I've cut down dead trees on my property that were exposed to wind and some sun, and were damp and punky inside. Why do dead trees get punky? Is is because of a lack of sun to keep them dry?

unlike a log laying on the ground, a dead tree i think it rots from the inside. there is a lot of water stored inthe tree that isnt being used if the tree is dead/dying and cant escape out no matter how much sun beats on the bark.

moondoggy said:
woodjack said:

unlike a log laying on the ground, a dead tree i think it rots from the inside. there is a lot of water stored inthe tree that isnt being used if the tree is dead/dying and cant escape out no matter how much sun beats on the bark.

That would explain why the core seems to be most punky.

I’ve cut down dead trees on my property that were exposed to wind and some sun, and were damp and punky inside. Why do dead trees get punky? Is is because of a lack of sun to keep them dry?

I've cut ash and elm and found the same thing when the bark doesn't fall off. If the bark is off it's good stuff usually (where the critters bore in at the trunk of the tree it's usually punky and not worth the effort). If i've got an ash or elm that is dead and standing, i'll go out and scuff off all the bark I can so it can start to dry on the hoof.

Also, do you guys burn punky wood after it dries out?

No, or I should say I havn't been in a position where I had to. I've burnt some good wood that had a punky outer ring (sap ring) and that portion of the wood just goes POOF. Not a good source of heat.

There was some wood stored on the ground in the shade when I bought our house. It was punky, and I decided not to use it. But a year later, I wanted to get rid of it, and did burn it. It surprised me that it did give a lot of heat. Perhaps 50% of what non-punky wood would provide, but I heated the house for a few weeks with that stuff.

There are wooden structures throughout the world that are several hundred years old. As long as wood is stored so it doesn't stay wet, it will keep for many years. Those of you living in century houses should have plenty of wood that is in fine shape that is over a 100 hundred years old. Sunlight also breaks down wood but only on the surface.

What about a shaded wood pile covered by a tarp? This is my first season burning wood so I have not completed a full cycle yet, but it appears that wood I stacked earlier this winter (seasoned and unseasoned) doesn't dry very well outside. It seems to soak up the moisture from the air.

Hmm, they say to cover wood for the aging process, but I'm kinda partial to putting the wood on a large rock in the sun. Also- I debark the wood, pinion pine mostly- amazing how much moisture is retained under that bark, then split and stack it in the sun. Or could I be doing something better. Still a noob at this stuff, but man, my heating bill has plummeted. Also- how hot do I want my flu to be, I'm tring to keep it around 250 F* and the box 400F*, comfortable so far and less smoke in the house...........

WOODJACK:
from what hearth has taught me,
split, stack with good ventalation, preferably in the sun, able to catch the wind like a sail. (my sun to shade ratio aint too good but i'm stacked already!)
for next years supply leave uncovered or just put a length of 1x6 lumber accross the top of the pile.
leave uncovered until the fall rains come. uncover when its not raining.

this years supply you should cover fully if its gonna rain. i watch the weather more then ever now.
uncover when its going to be nice.

for next years stuff
if your split and stacked off the ground, rain water isnt much of an issue. its the water in the fibers of the logs that needs to dry out. cover when burn season comes and it rains.

hearth.com has taught me well :)

1. It is not uncommon to see some oak that starts to turn punky on the outer ring but mostly on wood piles that have not been covered. It is okay to burn them. Just don't worry much at all about it as long as it is just the outer layer.

2. Yes, split and stack the wood. On the covering, don't cover it until next fall. Let evaporation do it's thing through the spring and summer months and cover it before the fall rains begin.

3. Covering with a tarp is okay. Just cover the top. Leave all the sides open so air can go through the pile and keep things dry.

4. Don't make this thing about wood piles so complicated. Enjoy the work; enjoy the heat.

moondoggy, there is no need to continually cover and uncover a pile of wood.

you dont know how much i love my wood. (i'm still on honeymoon w/my stove..1st year)

and i have to cover the stuff i'm burning now dont I ? or no...
like my pile now and for the next month. i coverd it cause its pouring. and i dont mind doing it.

moondoggy said:
you dont know how much i love my wood. (i'm still on honeymoon w/my stove..1st year)

like my pile now and for the next month. i coverd it cause its pouring. and i dont mind doing it.

Definitely keep it covered if you're using it now or you'll be sizzling when it gets wet..

Ray

moondoggy said:

By all means, keep it covered now! But I certainly would not go to the bother of uncovering and then recovering. I still love my woodpile yet and I've burned wood a few more years than you. lol But I still don't like making extra work.

I usually split wood in March and try to get it all stacked by mid-April at the latest. It is then left uncovered until sometime in October. Then covered and left covered until it is gone. I will cover it earlier if we get big September rains. We have enough on hand right now for about 5 years and there is just a small bit from last year that did not get covered last fall. It will get covered when the snow melts this spring. Same goes for splitting. I have to wait for snow melt to begin splitting. I'm not about to try getting the splitter to the splitting pile when there is snow up to the top of the atv. It can wait.

As long as the firewood isn't wicking moisture from the ground it should keep for a number of years without getting punky.

So, split wood kept off the ground and covered from rain, and in the shade, will not take on moisture from outdoor air - even when it's damp outside? When I bring my splits inside for a few days the wood seems dryer and to burn better.

woodjack said:
So, split wood kept off the ground and covered from rain, and in the shade, will not take on moisture from outdoor air - even when it's damp outside? When I bring my splits inside for a few days the wood seems dryer and to burn better.

Yes it will still dry providing your woodsheds are airy enough. My woodsheds are in dense shade and I am in the process of knocking out some more boards on the sides to let more air blow thru. Had my boards with only an inch gap between and some of my wood that is 18 months is burning like crap!!

I had the idea to move all the wood in my sheds out to dry in the sun for this coming summer..But on sober reflection, think knocking out more boards is a "hell-of-a-lot-less-work" :cheese: And guess,I will find out this coming winter if that worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.