The Life and Death of Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my neighbour has some fir in his woodshed that is 20 years old,and I can tell ya, I wouldn`t mind having it to burn. Not punky at all, and I bet those 6" pieces would burn like Kindling.

I agree with what is said here, but I wonder about this wicking moisture from the ground thing. The logs that are in contact with the ground definitely pick up a lot of moisture, and bugs, but is that moisture transmitted to the next layers?

Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. We presently have most of our woodpile stacked right on the ground. Doesn't make the wood so it is unburnable at all, but it can be a task getting them out of the ground sometimes.

Interesting suggestions to leave the pile uncovered during the summer. I always figured it was best to keep it well covered but it makes sense to let more air at it.

We have an old concrete barn floor (barn long gone). I guess that would be a good place to dump the firewood and let it season? It especially helps that it's on on open ridgetop.

I'm new here but not new to wood burning. Good forum!

Ken

Ken, welcome to the forum.

Yes, that is the correct way is to leave the pile uncovered during the summer months as evaporation can then take place. That old concrete barn floor will indeed make a great place to pile your wood, especially because it is on an open ridgetop. You will get good air flow there so try to stack the wood so the wind hits the sides of the piles and not the ends. Your wood will season good on this.

Split and stack your oak off the ground and keep rain off it, and it should easily last a few years, maybe several, without degrading much.

The pine I burn (radiata) *does* go punky and get various sorts of borers after two years, even stored dry, so I try to cycle through the pile regularly.

Eddy

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, that is the correct way is to leave the pile uncovered during the summer months as evaporation can then take place. That old concrete barn floor will indeed make a great place to pile your wood, especially because it is on an open ridgetop. You will get good air flow there so try to stack the wood so the wind hits the sides of the piles and not the ends. Your wood will season good on this.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking of just dumping it in a big pile. While I can see the advantages of nice individual stacks, would I loose that much to just leave in in a pile? The concrete pad is in the middle of a horse pasture and I have a couple of geldings that would probably knock nicely stacked wood over, maybe on each other :(

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.