The light winter had made the ticks thick this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a high tick population in our area as well. I never get them, wife get them all the time. We use front line and tick collars on the dogs. The combo seems to work well this spring so far.

I'm not a vet but you might want to look into using the combo...was told NOT to.

Trouble is, the ticks in our area are not affected by anything with deet in it. You need to use a product that has Permethrin in it, but you do NOT put this bug repellent directly on your skin, you apply it to your outer garments and allow it to dry before wearing them. The products called Duranon, No Stinking Ticks, and Sawyer are a couple from the top of my head. This affect the nervous system of the tick and kill them on contact but are purportedly harmless to humans if used as directed. I won't hunt anymore without having it on my clothing because the ticks are so bad around here it isn't even funny.

Ticks being DEET resistant is news to me. I am familiar with Permethrin, it is used in a lot of pest control chemicals, also dog flea and tick collars and the Hartz drops you put on the dogs spine.

Good write up here at the Duranon website: http://duranon.com/

Reactions: ScotO
There are years that my in-laws pull ticks off their dog when there is over 1 foot of snow on the ground and its well below zero. Yesterday my wife pulled three ticks off my daughter and she was just oplaying in our yard. Granted how our door works or doesn't work the ticks just walk right in.

I did the vinegar/grape juice and vinegar/apple juice thing several years ago to help with my joints, heartburn, etc. and I think I am going to give it a go for the tick remedy too. I don't know if that works or not, but I am willing to try anything, especially with turkey season coming in this weekend and I will be dealing with them BIG TIME. Not to mention I kinda like the taste of apple cider vinegar (honestly).:rolleyes:o_O

Ticks are bad up this way too. My son and I have been cutting dead wood off the four wheeler trail behind the house, and we got ticks on us every time we've gone out.

Ticks being DEET resistant is news to me.

Good write up here at the Duranon website: http://duranon.com/

I guess resistant isn't really a good word to use there, more like "not as effected by" would be a better term to use. I've seen ticks walk right over Deet-treated clothing like it wasn't even there. But the permethrin works BIG TIME. This winter, we went out the day before deer season on a scouting trip, I was wearing untreated clothing and I was COVERED from my knees down with ticks (on my clothes, not on my skin, thank God). Came home from that trip, sprayed my clothes down twice with the permethrin-spray and proceeded to hunt the exact same area the very next day (and it was warmer than the day before) and watched those poor buggers walk one inch on my clothes, wither up, and fall to the ground. I am a believer in that stuff, I hate to use deet on my skin so I am very conservative on using that, but I will end up using it behind my ears, around my face and on my neck this weekend when I go out turkey hunting. Anyway, great link, thanks for sharing!

I did the vinegar/grape juice and vinegar/apple juice thing several years ago to help with my joints, heartburn, etc. and I think I am going to give it a go for the tick remedy too. I don't know if that works or not, but I am willing to try anything, especially with turkey season coming in this weekend and I will be dealing with them BIG TIME. Not to mention I kinda like the taste of apple cider vinegar (honestly).:rolleyes:o_O

I gave this a shot last night, but maybe got the ratios wrong. All I tasted was the ACV.
If anyone has the mix correct, I'd like to know what it is.
I wonder if hummus works. I like hummus.

Status
Not open for further replies.