The lil HI300 that could... insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTigano

Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern, Ma
Well folks, this is my third year burning with this stove and as my firewood stack seasoned over the past few years, so did my love for this stove. I'm actually surprised at how well it heats the house. I've yet to turn the heat on yet in our 4 bedroom cape. My concerns though are this....just recently I realized how poorly my attic and eaves are insulated..... As a matter of fact, there is none in a large part. I am considering blown in as it is very tight in the attic and I'm not the smallest individual. I had an insulation company come out and quote $800 to do the job eaves and all but I just curious.... Don't the eaves need to be vented? Does blown in insulation still allow air movement? I don't want a few years to go down the road and all of a sudden produce respiratory problems due to mold. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Yes I believe the eaves need to allow air in, as to vent the attic through the roof vents.
They actually sell pre-formed baffles that attach to the trusses to prevent blown in insulation from blocking vents at the eave.
Although these may be harder to install in a cape cod style home, than say a Ranch style.

Reactions: Swedishchef
The eaves would need vented, but you MUST have a ridge vent ALSO. You must have both.
Air moves across the ridge and draws from the eave vent.

We installed new shingles last year and took advantage to add both ridge vent AND eaves vents. We have a cape cod so we had to use a special eaves vent. (since there is no room for a conventional fascia vent there.)

I will try to find the info.

Here it is....

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

vent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are soffit vents and ridge vents as well as vents on either end of the the house in the attic.... My question is this... The soffit vents need to be able to flow air up to the attic, i get that... but does the actual roof "plywood" need vented as well.... because I could run some pipe down the eaves to vent but since the house is finished and sheetrocked I cannot install the styrofoam vents that you staple to the underside of the plywood. I'm not sure if that makes much sense but I tried...lol

Yes, the actually roof deck needs to be vented, it prevents moisture from building up on the underside of the roof deck, causing the plywood to go bad. It also prevents the shingles from getting too hot and curling. Also you don't want gable vents and ridge vents. It short circuits the venting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.