The little old stove that was just burned on Sundays

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba3228

Aug 30, 2011
central wisconsin
Hello all - I am new to this site and have been enjoying the posts I have read. ( although some of what I have read is not really what I wanted to hear )

I have been burning wood for 10 years or so and find it very rewarding. Recently I have decided to replace my old Johnson add a furnace with a used Vermont Castings Defiant Encore model 0028 ser.#24209 1986 stove.

This unit was purchased new by the person I bought it from and seems to be in pristine condition. It is a cat model and I have been reading some of the threads on this forum and thought for sure I was in for a bunch of heart ache and expense. However I have started to look this unit over closer and am finding the refractor and cat in remarkable shape.

Could it be I have found a true survivor I can hook up and just enjoy? I hope so. The main dilemma I have run into would be the total replacement of my current flue system. It is a Simpson DuraVent 6" class A system installed 10 years ago from the basement through the first floor and through the upper 1/2 story. I was hoping to move my basement ceiling support box up into my 1st level ceiling and hook onto it, done deal. However after reading the posts about stoves like this, I will be wise to change out my flue system to an 8".

I guess before I go through all of the expense and effort into that project I thought I would run it by some of the members here and get confirmation for my own piece of mind.

The other expense I am hoping to put off at least for this year would be the replacement of the cat. It looks clear and all intact, I will take the shop vac to it and reinstall and try it out for my first cord of burning if most of you agree this could be a low use survivor and will still function well. The signs of what I should look for in a bad cat. would be appreciated advice.

Thanks all, very cool site.
Bubba

Attachments

• IM000724.jpg
    IM000724.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 492
  • IM000723.jpg
    IM000723.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 490
I just replaced my Defiant/Encore after 20 plus years with a CDW FA288CL. I burn 24/7 and had to rebuild the stove over the years quite a few times and it gets expensive. Did you take the back off and check out the refractory? Did you inspect all of the refractory for that matter? Is there any warped cast interior pieces? They are cool looking stoves but can be a pain in the arse to rebuild. Mine was porcelain and my new/used did not come with that option. I am looking forward to not having to replace so many parts every 3-5 years. Good luck with your decision!

I took the cover off that houses the cat. I pulled the cat. out and if the refactory is the piece just above and behind the cat. it looks to be all in tact and in very good shape. There are no warped pieces in the stove. The original owner claims they only used the stove on the weekends and started using the stove in 1989. I purchased this stove prior to reading this forum for 475.00 I am going to invest some more cash in the new 8" flue system, I am hoping to have the entire project done myself for under a 1000.00

Thanks for the reply

The DuraVent 6" sounds fine to me. It's Class A or HT, right? Why would you replace it? That's a modern chimney. Many of us here (myself included) use that same chimney for 24x7 burning when it gets cold.

Only reason you would need an 8" is for a stove that requires an 8" and there aren't many of those. Blaze King King and Hearthstone Equinox come to mind as such.

You need to pull off the entire back of the stove to check out the refractory..not just the piece on the back of the catalyst. If you already purchased it..then good it luck. They are great stoves but they get pricey on rebuilds. One of the best looking stoves I ever saw in the 80's, that's why I bought it! Keep us posted on the install

edit...I use a 8in oval to 6in reducer but I have a 48ft chimney. good luck

I think the new Defiants only require an 8" chimney if you burn it with the optional screen door. I'd at least try it with the 6" before replacing.

Kevin G, the manual I have states the chimney should be an 8" 24ga. I was under the impression the manual is the bible for these older stoves. With moving the support box up one floor and using the existing 6" class A pipe I would have a total of about 25-28' of pipe total. The manual also states "do not to use double wall pipe and fittings not listed for this stove" I have to believe any of the pipe and fittings the manual would be talking about would be obsolete 1st generation stuff. I would like to use the existing pipe along with some new single wall pipe to the reinstalled ceiling support box if enough or all of you believe it is a safe installation. If the only other issue would be the draw I would be willing to try this 6" before spending the time and money on new 8"...

What do you all think?

It looks like 6- 7/16" or 1/2" hex bolts hold the back of the stove on, do I take these out and remove the back for inspection of the refactory? What will a bad refactory look like? Will that be a sealed joint I will have to re-seal?

If it's and but's were candy and nuts we would all have a merry x-mas. Ican't say I always enjoy learning the hard way- I can say I always enjoy learning. Thank you all that take the time to help.

Bubba

If it were me I'd try it out. You aren't going to burn the house down (so long as your hearth pad and surround protections are all up to snuff w/ the book) w/ your modern chimney even if it is a bit smaller. If it doesn't work you may smoke things up a bit at worst. I also wouldn't pull the back of the stove until I tried the stove out either. If the cat looks good from what you can see, then fire it up, if it will come up to temp and doesn't smoke you out when you open the door on a hot stove to reload then fire away. In general I am very pro-active, pro-preventative maintenance, pro-do-it-now-so-I-don't-have-a-problem-later, and very hands-on but in this case I say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and you have no idea if anything is problematic until you try it out. If you start having any problems then I would:

1. Pull the back and make a better inspection of the cat.
2. Reconsider the chimney.

That's a pretty darn tall chimney. I'd give that a damn good shot at working well so long as your fuel source is well seasoned.

pen

pen said:
If it were me I'd try it out. You aren't going to burn the house down (so long as your hearth pad and surround protections are all up to snuff w/ the book) w/ your modern chimney even if it is a bit smaller. If it doesn't work you may smoke things up a bit at worst. I also wouldn't pull the back of the stove until I tried the stove out either. If the cat looks good from what you can see, then fire it up, if it will come up to temp and doesn't smoke you out when you open the door on a hot stove to reload then fire away. In general I am very pro-active, pro-preventative maintenance, pro-do-it-now-so-I-don't-have-a-problem-later, and very hands-on but in this case I say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and you have no idea if anything is problematic until you try it out. If you start having any problems then I would:

1. Pull the back and make a better inspection of the cat.
2. Reconsider the chimney.

That's a pretty darn tall chimney. I'd give that a damn good shot at working well so long as your fuel source is well seasoned.

pen

+1

Burn the stove and the set-up you have and see how it goes. Don't overfire the stove and don't be dropping wood into the firebox - treat it with kid gloves and you might have a very good stove.

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck,
Bill

Thanks pen. I am going to heed your advise. I am like you as far as being pro- active etc. I can see your point, as I do not have anything to lose and much to gain if and when all goes well. I will heed the floor and surround specifications. My fuel source is in good shape this year I am ahead of the game and have 3 cord ready to go 2year old seasoned oak,hickory, cherry, and elm. I will be heading out in the morning to fell and buck a couple nice 2year old dead hanging cheery trees for the late season burn if needed or my next years start. Best time of the year :coolsmile:

Thanks Bill - Yes with kid gloves, monitor the burn temps, and don't ram things around. I am really looking forward to getting rid of that old utilitarian hunk of junk in the basement and enjoy some nice warm goodness on my main level. I am thinking I will cut my fuel consumtion down alot, that old stove had most of the heat going right out the stack. I will let you know as I go. Thanks for your time.

Todd said:
I think the new Defiants only require an 8" chimney if you burn it with the optional screen door. I'd at least try it with the 6" before replacing.

That is what I heard as well. I will be running a 6" on the Encore.

bubba3228 said:
Thanks Bill - Yes with kid gloves, monitor the burn temps, and don't ram things around. I am really looking forward to getting rid of that old utilitarian hunk of junk in the basement and enjoy some nice warm goodness on my main level. I am thinking I will cut my fuel consumtion down alot, that old stove had most of the heat going right out the stack. I will let you know as I go. Thanks for your time.

Just make sure you have dry wood or you will be very frustrated this winter.

bubba3228 said:
Thanks pen. I am going to heed your advise. I am like you as far as being pro- active etc. I can see your point, as I do not have anything to lose and much to gain if and when all goes well. I will heed the floor and surround specifications. My fuel source is in good shape this year I am ahead of the game and have 3 cord ready to go 2year old seasoned oak,hickory, cherry, and elm. I will be heading out in the morning to fell and buck a couple nice 2year old dead hanging cheery trees for the late season burn if needed or my next years start. Best time of the year :coolsmile:

I'd bet a case of beer that you'll do just fine with that. Just remember there is a learning curve w/ any "new" stove.

I do hope you post back either way to let us know how you make out.

pen

pen I will post back for sure, your help is so appreciated. Yes BrowningBAR dry wood for sure. The older stove had me worried with the 6" pipe as it was not stated in the manual. However I did see the new ones would except either, only not recomending or allowing open door burn with the 6". Just do not want any hazzards for the price of some new piping...

bubba3228 said:
pen I will post back for sure, your help is so appreciated. Yes BrowningBAR dry wood for sure. The older stove had me worried with the 6" pipe as it was not stated in the manual. However I did see the new ones would except either, only not recomending or allowing open door burn with the 6". Just do not want any hazzards for the price of some new piping...

You'll be fine.

I'm actually running a 6" liner on an old Vigilant (not recommended) and I have had great success with it (dumb luck, really). Very little creosote with dry wood.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

That is what I heard as well. I will be running a 6" on the Encore.

+1 (6" pipe here as well....)

Also, read up on cat operations, plus pick up a flue temp gauge and stove top temp gauge

Diabel said:
Also, read up on cat operations, plus pick up a flue temp gauge and stove top temp gauge

The '2550 in pieces'; what's the deal?

BrowningBAR said:
Diabel said:

Simply no time to put it back together! I have collected all the missing pieces (ss cat, refactory, fireback...) all new from craiglists for less than half the dealer prices. The other encore is running just fine. The 2550 will go in my cabin in the woods that is being built this winter!

Diabel said:
BrowningBAR said:
Diabel said:

Simply no time to put it back together! I have collected all the missing pieces (ss cat, refactory, fireback...) all new from craiglists for less than half the dealer prices. The other encore is running just fine. The 2550 will go in my cabin in the woods that is being built this winter!

Ah!

I was just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.