The little stove that just about could

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
13 and dropping outside and my little insert is just about keeping up...

Burning down a thick coal bed right now - hoping to fill it up with eco-bricks and keep the basement beast dormant for the night.

It is amazing that it is 5 degrees warmer in the house than the same time last year without the stove but I feel a little chilly

Big house, little stove but still happy with 1/8 the oil consumption and much warmer

That sounds like a success story! It sounds like the oil eating beast will probably kick on, but that's nothing to be ashamed about. It sounds like you are saving lots of hard earned dollars!

Matt

I haven't needed the oil furnace heat for almost 3 years now. About 100 gallons of oil every six mnths get burned just to heat the hot water. I've let it warm up the baseboard pipes a handful of times each winter. Gotta love alternative heat!

Woke up this morning at 0445 to 63° in the bedrooms and 59° downstairs - no oil last night for the spaces heated by the stove (~2400SF), loaded with a couple of small splits, ate breakfast, showered then a full reload and the downstairs was 62° and climbing

I go through 25 gallons a month just for hot water and standyby (140° standby temp on aquastat) - down from about 35 gallons at  160°

Looking to put a second pellet stove on the first floor to suppliment the insert and shutdown the boiler completely (will install an electric tank) - I have a beautiful Lennox Traditions in my family room (future man cave) that I may move to the main house and replace with something smaller and less fancy.

Insert is well on its way to full payback in 1.5 heating seasons without accounting for a much warmer house.

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.