The "little things"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I posted this over at DIY Chatroom, but it didn't really take off. I figure hearth.com'ers might be a little more into the idea since we tend to be practical/resourceful folk. My wife and I are working toward one day building our own home. One of the main reasons besides the cost savings of acting as our own GC, will be the fact that it almost always costs less (and takes less time) to build a home to your specifications rather than remodel an existing home and sometimes having to compromise what you really want. Every once in a while when I'm working on the home we live in now (or sometimes when I'm just thinking about it while sitting at work :lol:) I'll get an idea and say to myself "gee I wish that this house had..." I thought it would make for an interesting thread to compile a list of "the little things" that you would want your dream home to have. I'm not talking about major features like say, a dedicated home theater room, but rather smaller things. The kind of thing where you see it in a magazine or at a friend's house and say "that's a darn good idea!" Here's my list:

Outdoor hot water hose bibs - On top of the fact that I plan to put a hose bib on each corner of the house I can think of more than a few occasions when having hot water outside would have been helpful. Also especially useful since hot water should be plentiful via the gasification boiler.

Floor drains in the garage and utility area of the basement (and boiler room) - I think this one is self-explanatory though I've heard that in many locales drains in the garage would be against code due to the fact that hazardous chemicals could enter the drain. Kind of silly when you think about the runoff from parking lots, roads, driveways, gas stations, etc...every time it rains.

Permanent hard air line network - I'd like to be able to put a big (80 gallon) compressor in the garage and run lines to the basement and maybe one out of the side of the garage to the driveway so that I can use air tools/fill tires without running hoses everywhere.

Through-the-wall dog door(s) - I like the way they look as opposed to the ones that are installed in doors.

Outdoor shower - One of the things I like the most about renting a house at the shore during the summer is the outdoor shower. Even though they're really meant so that you can shower off after being at the beach all day and not get sand in the house, I usually only use the outdoor shower when we're on vacation. Why not have one at home? The added pluses would be that it's an additional shower that can be used (during warmer months anyway) by guests, family, etc...and after a long hard day of working in the yard in the summer what could be better than a shower outside?

In-floor radiant heat (including the garage and basement) - No brainer ;)

Overhead door access to the boiler room - Easy to get in and out of with boiler components (think changing tanks years down the road) and the ability to simply dump bucketloads of wood in front of the door.

1/2 Bath in the garage - This would solve the problem of tromping through the house tracking god-knows-what in and dirtying up up the bathroom sink when nature calls in the middle of an oil change or an all day splitting marathon.

Chain hoist in the garage (And the beam to support it) - A chain hoist would be good for the obvious stuff like pulling engines and whatnot, but also for the less obvious stuff: large garage + chain hoist + floor drains = great deer processing area!

Mudroom with a floor sink - For washing muddy dogs and children prior to entering the house.

Laundry and trash chutes - Not sure why these ever fell out of favor-my aunt and uncle live in an old (1920s) home that has them and they love them.

Secondhand washer and dryer for the garage - For work clothes, shop towels, etc...

Basement vault room - (Ok I admit it, now I'm going a little crazy) Like this one: http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_vaultdoors.php Think about it-you could have your poured concrete foundation designed around having a little side room that would probably add a negligible amount to the overall cost. It could be a full on work room with a reloading bench, smithing bench, etc...when you're all done instead of having to put all the guns away you just walk out, shut the door, and you're done. Obviously a good place for valuables and whatnot. It could also be easily hidden by a bookcase, etc...

No gutters
No sump pumps
Minimal roof valleys
Overhangs big enough to shade the house in the summer and that you can leave the windows open in the rain
Porch big enough that everyone can hang out outside no matter what the weather
Wood chute
Processing area near house/refrigerator
Garden
Close to town/work but feels like country

- If your master bedroom is upstairs, make sure you make a second master-class bedroom and bath downstairs for when you and the wife get older and your knees don't want to climb the stairs anymore.
- Leave room inside the wiring chases with spare pull strings, especially for the phone/cable connections. Leaves you the option of easily pulling new tv cable mediums down the road when the format changes again.
- If you have a wall of glass anywhere, make sure its solar tinted to keep your southern exposure cool in the summer.
- Map out rainwater collection so you have plenty of water for your garden and lawn when you get a drought.
- Map out your driveway to be sure you eliminate sharp corners and steep pitches for the winter.
- Closets and lighting. You can't have too much of either it seems.

I did alot of these sort of thigns when designing my house and it seems like not a week goes by when I don't find something else I wish i had thought of.

SolarAndWood said:
No gutters
No sump pumps
Minimal roof valleys
Overhangs big enough to shade the house in the summer and that you can leave the windows open in the rain

I like all of these. There's nothing better than sitting on the porch during a good thunderstorm.

SolarAndWood said:

You can find that here in NJ, but it usually means $$$.

I hookup to the water heater for hot water outside.

Hose off the dog or me (outdoor shower/indoor floor sink) I use the hose... outside. I have to admit a mixer to get warm water would be nice though.

Bathroom in the garage would be nice, though I usually just go out back if I'm too lazy to take my shoes off and go in the house.

Radiant floor heat is ok, but not all that it's cut out to be IMO. I don't really care for teh SLOW SLOW SLOW reaction time. I'd really need to add a ceiling mounted rad type heater in my garage for quicker recovery.

Trash shoot? Why are you putting all the trash in the basement only to have to haul a heavy can up the stairs?

I can think of all sorts of things that would be nice, but instead I'd rather think of all the nice things I have instead. :)

SolarAndWood said:
No gutters
No sump pumps
Minimal roof valleys
Wood chute
Processing area near house/refrigerator
Garden

Last one very important Location location location! I am one mile from town but feels like you could be lost.

SolarAndWood said:

This is really important, as is the overall angle of your house. I get HUGE solar gains on sunny days in the winter on the southern exposure windows, but with 24" of overhang it gets totally shaded during the summer. Unless we get a lot of wind, rain is never an issue with the windows open.

I'll also add that I prefer to have two workshops. One small one is in the basement when I have a minor project and don't feel like running out in the cold or rain to the big shop. I keep a small set of basic tools on a small bench. Then a I have the detached garage functioning as a shop for the big jobs.

Not sure if you're just looking at "features" or bigger issues but couple things to consider:

1) Geothermal capability

2) House/garage orientation with southern roof exposure for solar panel incorporation or addition in the future

3) Make sure there's a nice, enclosed mud room/transition area either in garage or just inside house to keep house clean and dry (always tracking all sorts stuff in here). Nice bench to sit down and lotsa room to hang stuff to dry off (hats, carhartts, etc).

4) Nice area for stashing a couple tons of pellets/wood in or near garage/basement.

+1 on the secondary washer/dryer. we have dogs/cats and new washer/dryer so i make 1-2 runs a month to the laundry mat for the major stuff.

1 - Floor drains in the garage and utility area of the basement (and boiler room) - I think this one is self-explanatory though I’ve heard that in many locales drains in the garage would be against code due to the fact that hazardous chemicals could enter the drain. Kind of silly when you think about the runoff from parking lots, roads, driveways, gas stations, etc…every time it rains.

Not silly at all as a simple spill of some gas or oil could end up in your septic or a stream. Do you really need a drain in the garage when you can just push the water out the door with a broom if you want to wash it?

I saw a house once where owner/builder had a central 2-story room that at the bottom was the laundry/utility room complete with floor drain. This room contained wiring chases and most plumbing. The wet walls on both floors backed up to it. It gave easy access to most conveyances. I thought it could also act as a central ventilation/light shaft if desired.

-If radon is a potential issue go ahead an plumb the slab and maybe the vent. You don't need to install a fan unless there's actually a problem

-In snowy areas build the driveway with lots of access to sunlight. This will help melt the snow off in the winter.

- Consider deciduous trees to the south and west of the house; evergreens to the north. This has an amazing impact.

- Firewood pass-through airlock

- Leaf traps? The area in front of the garage under our house is one. What a pain.

- Consider using a central efficient hot water heater and then tankless heaters close to each use area (bath, kitchen). This will give you both cheap, instant, and endless hot water.

- I attach stained wood trim with small-headed trim screws so it can be removed for painting.

- Ceiling fan mounting structures and dedicated fan wall switches

- Side exiting vents (not roof-mounted) or better yet vent though you a energy recovery ventilator

- Gutters for rainwater collection

- Tubless showers with floor drains in bath floors

- Use a residential urinal instead of (or in addition to) toilet where appropriate (maybe the garage). There are some cool ones that fold into the wall.

- A flat (not necessarily level) garage slab with linear drain in front of garage door. I've found central drains are a pain cause the floor is sloped towards them.

- A way to route dirty dogs along an exterior deck to clean their feet before they enter the house.

- "Engineered" fresh air infiltration via an energy recovery ventilator with the house as airtight as practical.

- Gun storage vault built in (maybe in your basement vault?)

- Consider carefully where HVAC air returns should be if you have any. I'd prefer in-floor radiant too.

- Zoned HVAC. Maybe use ductless AC systems instead.

- Use of fire resistant siding and roofing in fires are an issue.

- Seasonal porch with lots of windows or sliding glass doors and dark ceramic floors for passive solar

- Air lock configuration in mud room and on any north facing doorways.

- Central vac or just the plumbing? Some like them. Easy to install when house is new, hard to retrofit.

- OAK for wood stove?

- Access panels for pluming at backs of tubs and elsewhere.

- Casement windows instead of doublehung? Both have pros and cons.

--Separate small rooms (and fans) for toilets

- Bath exhaust fans mounted above shower not across the room

I guess I could go on forever. I've planned for a long time to build my own house but am probably stuck with updating what we have. I think about these things all the time. Sigh....

I would plumb/wire the kitchen for both gas and electic. That way you can switch from one to the other depending on what you like without major renovations. I have electric but really wish I has gas. Same thing for the Dryer.

Also I would install a transfer switch so I could feed the main panel safely with a generator. Nothing automatic just a switch rated for the proper load.

I would also run gas to the generator and would use gas for my backup heat.

Another "nice to have" is 240 in the garage. I use it for my welder, and I've rewired the radial arm saw to run on 240. A lot of them can be jumpered to do this.

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:

This is really important, as is the overall angle of your house. I get HUGE solar gains on sunny days in the winter on the southern exposure windows, but with 24" of overhang it gets totally shaded during the summer. Unless we get a lot of wind, rain is never an issue with the windows open.

I'll also add that I prefer to have two workshops. One small one is in the basement when I have a minor project and don't feel like running out in the cold or rain to the big shop. I keep a small set of basic tools on a small bench. Then a I have the detached garage functioning as a shop for the big jobs.

+1 to everything except my big shop is attached and insulated. It has yet to drop to freezing or below, even though it is unheated.

Passive solar is the only way to go if you have the building site for it.

Retired Guy said:
Wouldn't the floor drain take care of the half bath issue?

:lol: Have none of you guys ever had to drop a deuce during an oil change?

Better check the code on the outdoor hot tap. Illegal here in Mass.

Dune said:

Really, not outdoor hot water plumbing allowed? (only here in the commonwealth I guess :)

daveswoodhauler said:
Dune said:

Really, not outdoor hot water plumbing allowed? (only here in the commonwealth I guess :)

You can have an outdoor shower (with certain exceptions) and you can have an outdoor sink, but you can't legaly have an outdoor hot water tap which a garden hose could be attached to.

Dune said:
You can have an outdoor shower (with certain exceptions) and you can have an outdoor sink, but you can't legaly have an outdoor hot water tap which a garden hose could be attached to.

I wonder what the rationale is?

If you leave a hose or even a quick connect attached to the hot water bib it can freeze and burst.

Could be an energy thing like you are not allowed to oversize your furnace, required insulation, or that lame new law about CFL bulbs. Perhaps a scald thing? They don't want you spraying 120 degree water at your dog?

If I had to guess, it is about protecting children.

Sure but it's not that hard to take my shoes off and go in the house!

Badfish740 said:
Retired Guy said:
Wouldn't the floor drain take care of the half bath issue?

:lol: Have none of you guys ever had to drop a deuce during an oil change?

We were lucky enough to be able to build when we retired in 1989. Many of these ideas already mentioned in this thread are great. In addition to those, some others that we did:

With no requirement for immediate use, we put in an 8" metalbestos flue dead center in the house from the basement straight up. Didn't use it until a couple of years ago. Enabled me to put in a wood stove with little trouble and expense.

Nine foot ceilings in the basement with steel/wood floor trusses to carry the load above. The trusses make a space for all piping and wiring so we have 9' clear. The basement contractor has to haul to the job site, erect the forms, and place the concrete whether the walls are 7.5 ft or 9 ft. The extra for the higher walls was not much, but the change in the space due to high ceilings is dramatic.

In our basement, we put regular Anderson windows by building large deep window wells from treated lumber. One mistake here was I built these off site and then had to move the panels by myself to the house. It was like erecting the pyramids, the way I ramped, rolled, and jacked them. That treated lumber was very heavy. Worth it. The space in the basement looks completely normal. It is only when you pull back the curtains that you discover the window is six feet deep. Mistake here is no cover on the window wells. I have had to get two skunks, two armadillos and various snakes, frogs, turtles, and small mammals out of window wells.

I put radiant tubing in the basement floor. We have never operated this, but the option is there. Cheap. $0.33/ foot for the pipe. Used about 1800 feet. Turned out the basement is relatively warm from radiation from the floor above.

A mistake. I put one inch of blue board under the basement slab. Should have used two inches to save energy if I ever heat the floor.

We put a complete drainage system under the house. Gravel layer with drain field pipe every 12 feet. Two reasons. One, if radon becomes an issue, I left an opening in the basement to pump the radon out. Hasn't tested high enough to worry about yet. Things change in nature, but so far no need. Second and major reason was to keep moisture out of the basement and keep moisture from drawing heat from the floor. It drains to daylight. The drain ran for five years after we built. Since then, it rarely flows. We have had some cardboard boxes on the floor in the basement for twenty years with no evidence of moisture. There is a perimeter drain connected with this system. Note to self, throw out some boxes of junk.

I put in a central vacuum system. It was cheaper than a good sweeper since I did all the work myself. Still works as good as the day we moved in.

I was the electrician on the job. It gave me a chance to be on site while my subs were working, without appearing to hover over their shoulder. Electrical boxes are cheap. I put way over code numbers of duplex receptacles. Everything GFI except the refrigerator. I over sized the service and number of circuits. A complete coax cable system and telephone outlets everywhere. Again, very cheap to do since I did the labor myself. This extra has paid off many times. Also, I put in the exterior entrances underground in concrete covered ducts. So when the big ice storms came, my service was not downed by falling trees. Pulled my 150 ft service in by hand. Once you get things lubed up and started, you can't stop. It was exhausting. Don't do this by yourself. The old job site joke about, "I used to be an electrician but then I got a job." is not true.

I did the tin bending and insulation of the duct system for the air conditioning. So I was able to insure my system is extra airtight and the insulation/vapor barrier was first class. Cost me 20% of the lowest bid.

I found out double 2x3 exterior walls and Arkansas trusses were about the same as conventional framing, so my exterior walls are 12" of insulation and the ceiling has 24". That more than anything has saved us money. You do give up interior square footage. So if the walls take an extra 100 ft^2 of interior space at $100/ft^2, this cost $10,000. Much much more than the extra framing and insulation.

Our garage drain goes to daylight. I saw the results of an explosion due to gasoline in a storm sewer. I don't want that remote possibility in my house. I have spilled some flammables in my garage and lord knows what the boys did when we were not looking.

Mistake. We put in a double sided fireplace. Haven't used this much at all. Worse, when I got the infrared thermometer, I discovered the flue system, clearances from the attic insulation, outside air, damper, etc creates a real heat loss in the house even when the fireplace is unused. This is one place I am really ashamed of my thinking process. That thing is soon to be history, once I can figure out how to cheaply and safely put a hearth mount wood stove in there.

I did the exterior basement waterproofing myself. It was hot and miserable, but in one deep corner, the concrete had a porous area. It was not readily apparent, but it adsorbed five coats of asphalt emulsion before I got the barrier I wanted. I would have never known if I had not done this part of the job. No leaks in the walls in twenty years. Good thing, because I did the big no-no and insulated the basement with interior fiberglass batts.

I should have insulated the exterior basement walls with some sort of system. I should have put in reglets when the walls were cast.

There is no direct entry to the house from the attached garage. Security issue. You exit the garage onto the covered kitchen porch and enter the kitchen. Never have to worry about someone getting into the house from the garage. Less chance of carbon monoxide into the house.

We located the house in the lee of high ground to the north and west. That blocks the prevailing winds in the winter. It is oriented to the south to get solar. Interior space is arranged to have sunrise into the kitchen. The house is L-shaped open to the southeast for a winter micro-climate patio that is surprisingly pleasant in cold windy weather.

As soon as we moved in I built winter and summer bat houses. Took several years, but now I have a large colony of year round bats. We have few mosquitoes. I sleep on the open porch when the weather is nice or the wife is not nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.