The "Longest Pellet" Thread...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
So, ive had some long pellets, i like to "hunt" them down and break em in half! Buggers! i dont make it a HUGE habbit, but if i see them while sitting in the tote, i grabe em and break em!

Longest pellet ive found was from a bag of "dry creeks" It was 2-3/8" long. But recently, my wife found a HUGE somerset pellet..it measures in at 2-1/8" long... Kinda big for a somerset, i just found it kinda wild coming from a pellet company that i typcially see pellets at a max of like 1.5" long..but the entire bag had a few bigger pieces in it. rest of the bags so far, not so much.

Has anyone else ever gotten a BIG somerset pellet as well? IF not, What your record!?!? if ya dont measure the Big honking sized ones, then just disregard this thread and tell us all how goofy or dumb we are...its ok...i know other ppl do it! lol

My stove feed auger chops them up...no issue.

I used to love finding the longer pellets, I'd save them and put them up on the mantel. Used to find a lot many years ago when I burned NEWP. I've burned probably 10 different kinds since then and haven't found one any longer than probably 1.25" or so.

I read on here (ocassionally) about auger jams from too long pellets. I never could see how a pellet would jam an auger in the first place because, one, they are brittle and break easily and two, the auger drive with it's triple compound reduction produces a gob of torque, actually enough to take your finger off should you set it between the auger and the tube inside the feed bin, which is why most stoves come with a guard over the auger hole and cautions in the manual referring to being careful working arounf the auger tube in the feed bin.....

Maine's Choice garbage. Pellet on the right was 2.5 in long. Worst pellets ive burned yet.

Attachments

• P_20141202_064547_HL.jpg
    P_20141202_064547_HL.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 103
I read on here (ocassionally) about auger jams from too long pellets. I never could see how a pellet would jam an auger in the first place because, one, they are brittle and break easily and two, the auger drive with it's triple compound reduction produces a gob of torque, actually enough to take your finger off should you set it between the auger and the tube inside the feed bin, which is why most stoves come with a guard over the auger hole and cautions in the manual referring to being careful working arounf the auger tube in the feed bin.....

It's less "jamming" and more "bridging". The long pellets lay across the opening and won't let pellets fall through. I noticed on my USSC that the auger has teeth along the screw every so often and these chew the long ones right up.

Found more than a few PA pellets over 3" long. Never kept track. I did find a potato sized chunk of coal in a bag of rice coal one.

Purefires from this year.

A couple years back the Barefoots I burned had some long pellets. Auger chopped them up unless I saw them first!!

Attachments

• WP_20141120_003.jpg
    WP_20141120_003.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 83
My stove feed auger chops them up...no issue.

So far, same here but the noise is disquieting. Sounds like the stove is suffering from constipation (which, in a way...)

Status
Not open for further replies.