The Lopi Declaration, Eastern PA & Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Good afternoon folks:

As informative as this sight has been, I feel it's only right that I report back what I've learned in my search for the right insert.

Total Quotes: 10 (4 Lopi Declarations, 2 Quadrafire 31001i, 2 VC Montpelier, 1 Recency I24CC & 1 Osburn 1600)
Shops visited: 5. I plan to visit more.

Lopi Declaration Average Price (Includes Fan, Panels & Face): $3,476.75
Average Labor on all quotes: $654.16
Average Liner on all quotes: $525.50 (Interpret this value with caution as some quotes were specific to chimney length). My chimney length is 15 ft.
Components: This was a crapshoot. Some were informative and listed values, others just clumped them in with their liner charge.

What's interesting is that when you're getting a quote and asking questions about the unit, they'll usually have answers. This isn't the case for installation. You guys like to talk about block-off plates and insulated liners. Stove shops don't like too.

Chimney Sweeps are next on the agenda. After that, masons.

I think the reason they (the stove shops) don't like to is the same reason a car salesman can't or most likely cant tell you how to upgrade fuel injectors.

The stove shop wants to sell the stove, use what info they have, and stick to that. When you get into block off plates, that isn't their thing.

Shawneyboy:

I agree with you to a certain extent. Upgrading flue injectors, or discussing the engine of a car is by far more complex than discussing an insert and liner components. Although overly simplified, they should be able to educate a "stove buyer" on what it hooks up to. I mean we all have different connection and termination points, but the process involves pretty much the same equipment. I think they refrain from doing such, so you purchase a liner and it's installation through them. Becoming a stove owner requires 3 decisions. Selecting a stove. Selecting a liner and it's components. Selecting an installer. 1 & 2 you have to purchase. The last you don't.

I bought my lopi declaration from salter's fireplace (north west of philly). They did the install and a LOT of stonework on the fireplace. They did a great job, very happy with it. Good installer and good stove.. Would do it all over again if I had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.