The Lopi pellet stove line-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mark 64 said:
Not only is the frost and flame putting the screws to me on the warranty. every time I would go in for parts they tell me that I have no idea what I'm doing and that If they installed the stove this would not be happening and try sending me off with a fuse. so now I go in with part in hand and they tell me that they will be testing the part and if is not bad i will be charged for the part. at first I would argue with them. now I just smile and ask them get my part. so now I am stuck with a lopi layden that burns up an igniter every ton and a half of pellets so I will not even sell on craigslist ! any ideas on what kind of recourse I can take.

Thanks Mark

can you post a pic of your install, and what kind of pellets are you running?
As far as recourse, I would call up Travis directly, and see what they can do for you for credits on whatever parts you have bought already... all the electric components are covered 2 yrs parts and labor so you got the rest of this year before you should have to pay up for any blown out component. Please keep in mind, however, that just because its covered for that span does not mean you can just neglect cleaning the stove/burnpot which can prematurely wear out the parts and expect the company/dealer to smile and eat your wtty costs! I run into this kinda stuff all the time with Harman ignitors, people just straight up don't maintain the pot or the cleanout under the pot and the ignitor burns up: they call me in a panic, and when I get there, the ignitor is buried under 2" of ash (no wonder it's burned up!), so its a 2 way street. But, if you are maintaining your appliance in the proper manner you will have a leg to stand on.
I wonder if they are double dippin on you on the old ignitors you replace? do they take the old part when they sell you a new one?

last year I used the Pennington brand that frost and flame sold me ( lots of dust after the auger motor burned up I started sifting the bags ) this year I am burning pa pellets they burn great with very little dust. they do take the parts I don't think they are double dipping because I had to contact Travis ind. because they would refuse to give me the parts with out a 170.00 service call. I usually quickly vac the stove on wednesdays and on saturday I will take out the baffles, burn pot, heat shields, ash pan and give it a good cleaning. but I was in a sling all of february so all i could do was just vacuum out the around the burn pot and not under it do you think that the problem ?

mark 64 said:
last year I used the Pennington brand that frost and flame sold me ( lots of dust after the auger motor burned up I started sifting the bags ) this year I am burning pa pellets they burn great with very little dust. they do take the parts I don't think they are double dipping because I had to contact Travis ind. because they would refuse to give me the parts with out a 170.00 service call. I usually quickly vac the stove on wednesdays and on saturday I will take out the baffles, burn pot, heat shields, ash pan and give it a good cleaning. but I was in a sling all of february so all i could do was just vacuum out the around the burn pot and not under it do you think that the problem ?

ash buildup under the pot will back up into the tube the ignitor is house into, causing an incomplete airflow past the ignitor element. without this airflow, the ignitor does not cool down at the proper rate, causing it to warp inside the tube and eventually burn out.

mark 64 said:
last year I used the Pennington brand that frost and flame sold me ( lots of dust after the auger motor burned up I started sifting the bags ) . . . .

they do take the parts . . .

Penningtons are pretty much all I have used, bought from Walmart and Sam's. I never sift the fine's, ever. This year I mixed Penningtons with some of the real crappy first run Athens pellets. A dirty burn, but no problems. I feel for you having these problems. I actually ordered my stove from North Carolina and had it shipped for much less than Frost & Flame quoted me. The dealer in NC. has been great, but I know he can't service the stove if needed, I'm pretty mechanical. He did send me the new cast iron panels on his dime when Travis wouldn't ship directly to me, and I got to keep the old firebrick ones which I am still using for as long as they last. I feel confident he would ship me any parts.

My only suggestion would be to try and have a talk with Travis, and post up some pics of your install. Some of these guys are real experienced and may notice something out of place?
Mike -

BlackDog said:
Buy a Harmon. I have a Harmon, I had a Leyden. Ask which one my wife likes better, enough said.

Which Harmon did you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.