The magic 3 buttons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ridezx6r01

Nov 1, 2018
Elmira, New York
just purchased a house with a englander 25-pdvc/55-shp10 mfg date 7/15 in the basement, has a small fire and isn’t seeming to be putting out a lot of heat running 3-3
I’ve heard and read about the Lff lba and aot
Wondering if settings are correct 5-9-1

Try 5 4 1, thats the factory settings. But those bottom numbers only apply to heat settings 1&2. But give the factory settings a try first and see if it helps any.

Try 5 4 1, thats the factory settings. But those bottom numbers only apply to heat settings 1&2. But give the factory settings a try first and see if it helps any.

Thanks I’ll give that a try! Also I’ve seen people talking about heat range d vs c how do I know where mine is set?

Setting the Heat Mode
Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, and for the 25-PDV it is 'c', but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Unplug the stove from the mains.
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds and then release the buttons, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left or right digital display under heat range or blower setting, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, or in case of the 25-PDV you need to use both buttons up or down, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)

So I gave the stove a complete cleaning set bottom 3 to 5-4-1 and fired it up about 2 hours ago decent flame still doesn’t seem to be putting much heat out but a lot of flying embers

Have you plugged the 2 holes under the burn plate with hillman plugs yet? What heat settings are you at? How large of an area you trying to heat? I ran mine on 5 heat 9 fan and it would be 250-270::F air temp

Like I said I just bought the house so I have a lot to learn on stove. no hillman plugs yet knew nothing about that. Trying to heat a 980 sq ft area heat setting are 4,8 does the fact this uses 3 in air intake make a difference?

. 3” intake is more than enough air for a good burn. Flying embers tells me you have a good burn. Do you have the manual for the stove? If not here is a copy. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2071/6041/files/25-PDVC_USandCANADA.pdf?6251262486519588615

Any way you can ck the air temp coming out of the tubes? When you cleaned did the impingement plate get installed correctly? Run a brush through the heat exchanger plate? How is the exhaust vent configured

Plate went back same way it came out the exhaust is set up stove connector, tee 5 foot run up elbow out thru wall and then a tee and 2 foot up. When I first looked at stove after closing the plate was only half covering the exchange, was that correct I moved it so it was fully covering

It’s probably not helping I’m in the stage of trying different pellets there was 3 bags of Pennington here when I bought it, I’m trying granulco out of Canada at the moment and I have a badge of locally made barefoot on deck

6E9FE3BF-0031-4C7A-971F-CF9C4C9EC8CD.jpeg
Current flame running 5-9

Looks like a good fire, ck your temps over a few hrs and see what you average. The pdvc is the smaller stove of the ESW brand, and it looks like it’s burning good so your gonna have to find the sweet spot for you heat settings. Also pellet brands are going to change the heat to.so find the brand your stove likes and fine tune from there. Try starting on heat 5 fan 5. And let it run.

I seriously can not thank you enough for your help! Temp has gone from 55 to 72 From my understanding this stove has only had 120 lbs of pellets run thru it. Previous owner was worried about pipes freezing in unfinished basement. Maybe next summer I will tear out the ng fireplace and move the pellet stove up to main floor.

No problem bud, stay warm!!

Mine came from the factory at 6-4-1 but it was burning too many pellets so I changed it to 5-4-1 and it burns a bit less.