The Mother of All Widow Makers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenster said:
The tree is on a 600 acre ranch that is managed by a good friend. He just bulldozes downed trees into a low spot and has told me to help myself. He doesn't burn and the ranch is only a holiday getaway place for a Georgia family. There is a lifetime of wood there that was blown down in summer storms over the past two years. Still good and green, not punky and rotten. Mostly Hickory and Oaks.
He's got a really big tractor out there. Maybe I can get him to pull that thing down for me sometime. Those supporting limbs are really spread out so it won't be easy to just chain it up and tip it to one side.
I'll let you know if I'm ever able to get it.

What I CAN do is go back and get the main trunk, which is still standing. I'm guessing it's about 12 feet tall, straight as can be. Maybe 30 inch diameter. Perhaps it's time to invest in bigger bar. I only have a 16 incher on my Stihl 390.

It's been a good day. Think I deserve another beer.

Since you have the option to have you friend pull over and get it in safer position to cut it up that's what I would do. One Oh S#### wipes out ten Atta Boy's. If he can't get it to a save position to cut up go for the other downed wood. While I could probably get it down to a safe position to cut up it wouldn't be easy nor would I do it if I had easier wood to get. And I sure would not cut it down from that position.

I love cutting down strait trunks. Do you have and use plastic wedges. You will need them and know how to use them for taking the trunk down safely.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.