The never ending....overflowing burn pot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmyers

Feb 12, 2008
Western Michigan
Hi there..
I am so frustrated right now! I bought a used pelpro/globoy stove about a month ago. I know there are going to be issues as I learn to use the stove. But.... no matter what kind of pellets I burn, the stove cannot go overnight without the burn pot overflowing and barely throwing any heat by morning. Some of the pellets I have tried only go a few hours before this happens. I have put a new combustion fan on the unit(because it quit)and have been cleaning it every other day or so. I have tried every combination possible, I think, as far as the settings and fresh air intake is concerned. No pipes going out or coming in are clogged....they are all brand new. I just don't get it! What am I doing wrong? I am soooooo frustrated right now. It is usually down to like 62-63F in my home by morning. This is with the feed rate at 3 and the room fan on high. My home is about 1500 sq. ft. From others that I know with pellet stoves they would be roasting out of their homes at these settings! Please help? I am starting to wish that I had not bought this stove and tried to save some money on heating. I am cold! Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tonya

im not all that familiar with that brand , butpellet stoves are pelet stoves, sounds to me like there is a blockage somewhere, possibly in the air pathway through the stove , i would look for any and all removable plates and such and pull them out , look through anywhere you can and see if you can find ash , remove all you can , check the airflow before you do this , get a feel for the amount being pulled in the intake if possible , then check again with the plates out and all ash you can find removed, if you are still fighting it , you might even take a compressor and blow the unit out with the exhaust fan running , see if you blow a crapload of ash out the exhaust vent. i doubt its overfeeeding though it may look that way , but in my experience it always comes back to air, or lack of such. hope this helps

Doesn't matter if you're dealing with a car or a campfire, unburnt fuel can mean only one of three things. Problems with the fuel supply,ignition source, or air supply. Your fuel supply is good or you wouldn't be overflowing, ignition doesn't apply after the initial fire, so your problem has to be air related, either intake or exhaust. I'm assuming the pellets are fine. I'm not familiar with your stove, but I would look at the internal pathways for the air intake and exhaust, something has to be blocked. I suppose it could be a defective sensor or control panel, but I usually anything that sophisticated would also have some type of warning system, like blinking lights. Good luck.

Get your hands on a instruction manual, get one online with a google search if necessary. Hope your draft knob on the back is pulled all the way out. It may be that simple I found the manual on line and it is well illustrated.
Wayne in NS

Hi, Check to see if your burn grate is warped it should fit into the burn pot without any gaps in the front, side or rear. If you have gaps it allows the combustion air to escape around the burnpot resulting in the pot overflowing. I would also check for larger air leaks around any doors, I don't know what model you have so I don't know the stoves layout. If you have an acutron control there will be three trim pots on the control labled 1,4,fan, try turning the fan trim pot to get a more aggressive flame. Also go to Dansons.com and download a manual if you don't have one. It outlines how to tune the flame. I have three of these stoves and the only problem I've had with burn pot overflow was due to a warped burn grate, I just squared it up again with a vise and a hammer and it has worked well for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.