The new lopi cape cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been looking at the blaze kings any of them have a side loader
No, but you won't need it in a stove that can be loaded E/W or N/S. With a square firebox, the need for a side door becomes obsolete.

I am heating 2,000 sq. feet single level open floor plan well insulated home . I did not have two stoves running at the same time . My first one had the solid door in front I traded it in for one that had a glass front I am away from home for long periods of time so burn time is very important I don't want to make a $ 2,500.00 mistake. Thanks so much for all the responses

What diameter flue do you have; 6" or 8"? For 6" and long burn times a BlazeKing Princess, or Sirocco/Chinook/Ashford 30 would be best, followed by a Woodstock Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel. If you have an 8" flue you could think of a BlazeKing King for max burn times. A large non-catalytic soapstone stove like the Hearthstone Mansfield may be another option.

If you are away from home for prolonged periods of time I would also consider a pellet stove. You can control it with a thermostat and not unnecessarily heat the house when no one is at home. Plus you will get longer burn times with a large hopper. Power outages will be an issue, though.

Don't know for sure. The factory reps did nothing but blame me for issues with the Leyden and then the Cape Cod. They would listen to nothing I said and reluctantly offered to replace a cracked stove that was less than a year old. He even laughed when I mentioned hearth.com.
Good customer service is worth its weight in gold..............

Reactions: webby3650
What diameter flue do you have; 6" or 8"? For 6" and long burn times a BlazeKing Princess, or Sirocco/Chinook/Ashford 30 would be best, followed by a Woodstock Progress Hybrid or Ideal Steel. If you have an 8" flue you could think of a BlazeKing King for max burn times. A large non-catalytic soapstone stove like the Hearthstone Mansfield may be another option.

If you are away from home for prolonged periods of time I would also consider a pellet stove. You can control it with a thermostat and not unnecessarily heat the house when no one is at home. Plus you will get longer burn times with a large hopper. Power outages will be an issue, though.
I'd pass on the pellet stove! Unless you've got deep pockets!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 185
I'd pass on the pellet stove! Unless you've got deep pockets!

Still cheaper than huge water damage due to frozen pipes. And compared with oil, propane, electric, pellets are still cheap.

Looking at the Woodstock progress also. Not a fan of the soapstone look and a little worried that I will not like the soapstone heat feel HELP!
If you don't like the look, then you don't like the look. That is a personal preference. But I can tell you one thing, the feel of the soft soapstone heat is very nice. The difference is subtle, but I love it.

Still cheaper than huge water damage due to frozen pipes. And compared with oil, propane, electric, pellets are still cheap.
Not around here. That would be about $15 a day to heat the place, no pellet stove will heat my whole house, or most houses for that matter. I had one for 2 or three years, it was less than impressive. I just took that pic today at menards, we will see pellet prices at their highest ever this year I bet.

The new cape cod is a beautiful stove. I could even deal with the front load only if you all think it is a good stove
I found the firebox shape to be pretty difficult to use to the fullest. Its 24" wide, but with the arch it's very difficult to get it full unless you have lots of random shaped pieces. If your wood is all 16" or so like most, then you are only really using about half of the available 3 cubic foot firebox.

The new cape cod is a beautiful stove. I could even deal with the front load only if you all think it is a good stove
I agree she is a fine looking stove. But I think I would wait for them to fix all the reported problems with the castings and other issues. The beauty of this site is all the 'hands on, real world experience' you can tap into.

You really like the Woodstock progress You just order direct!
For my money the 2 best stove manufacturers are Woodstock and BK. Both are industry leaders with great customer service. If you are looking for great control and super long burn times, BK is where you want to be. If function & form are of equal importance to you, then Woodstock is hard to beat. I needed a stove that would also function as a fine piece of furniture, so I went with Woodstock. And I love the stove. However, I have also read some very good reviews about the performance of the BKs.

Yes, you order the Woodstock stoves direct from the manufacturers. They are extremely helpful, wonderful people.

You really like the Woodstock progress You just order direct!

People that were living close enough did also drive up to the factory (Lebanon, NH), got a tour, chatted with the people who design and make those stoves, picked their stove, and brought it back home with them. Woodstock also backs their stoves with a 6-month, no question asked, money back guarantee. I am not aware of any other manufacturer who does that.

However, with an 8" flue you would be a prime candidate for a BlazeKing King stove. With that you can get burn times of 30+ hours. You could also consider the non-catalytic Hearthstone Equinox but be aware that its heat output cannot be that well controlled. If you are a looking for a "budget" large catalytic stove, check out at the Woodstock Ideal Steel. Not the prettiest stove around, IMHO, but has lots of options for customization.

Reactions: webby3650
Hey hey hey I just looked at the equinox. I think that fits the bill ! Side loader ash pan looks great My wife even likes it. That's a plus. But I have heard that the ash pan is quite small. What can you tell me about that. Man I am picky Sorry.....

Hey hey hey I just looked at the equinox. I think that fits the bill ! Side loader ash pan looks great My wife even likes it. That's a plus. But I have heard that the ash pan is quite small. What can you tell me about that. Man I am picky Sorry.....
You better be prepared for the cost, and the weight! $4,300 and 740lbs!

If you are so fixed on the side-loading take also a look at the Hearthstone Manchester. It has a soapstone-lined interior for longer burn times. Quite a bit cheaper than the Equinox. How long is no one in the house to feed the stove?

Wow I don't like the price or the weight of the equinox. But I like the Manchester a lot it comes in matte black it has the style I love About 11 hours away from home

For a large side loader also look at the Jotul F600.

Status
Not open for further replies.