The new phone books are here! The new phone books are here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaratogaJJ

Oct 31, 2008
Saratoga Springs, NY
So, yes, a few weeks ago our new phone book showed up - actually, two of them, because inexplicably, someone thought that 'competition' in the phone book business would be good for the end user/consumer. To me, it just means more clutter, and I haven't figured out how to 'opt out' of getting a phone book.

Anyway, so I'm looking at the old phone books, as I'm dropping them in our recycling bin, and I'm thinking that they are essentially newspaper, bound into a softcover book form, right? If you ripped off the glossy cover, and took what was left, it'd basically be sort of like burning a brick made out of newsprint.

What does anyone think about this? If you had a pretty good bed of coals or a decent fire going, tossing in the phone book? Ours is pretty thick - figure maybe slightly over two inches thick.

Good idea? Bad idea? Don't quit my day job?

Don't quit your day job. Them things burn kinda nasty and not very well. It requires several "stirrings" to keep them burning.

Now if you used it as a tablet of handy fire starter paper, now you might be on to something.

"Phone book" is some foreign word for "smoldering mess".

reminds me of the time my wife got frustrated trying to get a fire going, ran out of newspaper and tried to use our daughters coloring book (not colored in yet). She started with a few pages, then thought it would work better if she put the whole thing in...

aye...

There's better uses. You can make a fastener out of two of them that can hold up several tons by simply layering the pages together. I'll see if I can find a diagram. See the pic below. Just drill a couple holes close to the binding, and attach whatever you want. Mythbusters had 2 cars pulling on these things before it broke. It's basically indestructible.

Attachments

• PhoneBook.jpg
    PhoneBook.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 301
All right, then. Back to the drawing board. It was just an idle thought. I'm perfectly happy recycling them; I was just wondering if there might be another productive use for them, so I decided to ask the experts. Thanks!

I did see that Mythbusters episode with the phone books - incredible how strong they were. I think they actually held two cars pulling in opposite directions, if memory serves.

Does anyone under the age of 50 use a phone book anymore? I can't remeber the last time I opened one.
On top of that, I find them in the spring when the snowbanks they are so carefully tossed in melt.

Dill said:
Does anyone under the age of 50 use a phone book anymore? I can't remeber the last time I opened one.
On top of that, I find them in the spring when the snowbanks they are so carefully tossed in melt.

We currently don't have internet at home, so I use one on a semi regular basis...

and I am only 28.

The cars couldn't do it, they used tanks. They also showed how to tear a phone book in half, which is a much cooler use for one than a smoldering smoky mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.