The new place at the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Well, I went over there and took a look around.
40 years ago I started working at a paper mill.
We made a good product.
The company made good money, operated at a profit every year.
The people that worked there made good money, took pride in their work.
Company got sold, still made money, some changes were made, people weren't happy, but still made a living, a lot still took pride in their work.
Company got sold again, stockholders and execs made some money, people still had jobs, some took pride in doing their jobs well.
Company got sold again, somebody obviously made some money,some people still had jobs,realized that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they needed to do as they were told, keep their mouth shut.

Sooooooooooooooo, change is good, right, that's why there is a "new, trial, check it out give us your thoughts version", right?????

hossthehermit said:
We made a good product.
Company got sold again, stockholders and execs made some money, people still had jobs, some took pride in doing their jobs well.
Company got sold again, somebody obviously made some money,some people still had jobs,realized that if they wanted to keep their jobs, they needed to do as they were told, keep their mouth shut.

Sooooooooooooooo, change is good, right, that's why there is a "new, trial, check it out give us your thoughts version", right?????

Change is not good unless it offers improvements.

We actually changed forum software twice before. The original forums had one big room. I think that was 1998-2001
Then we used a package call pmachine...which was upgraded a couple years later to this one.
We've used this since 2006 or so....

There is no way I would consider a change unless it brought some big advances to the table....or there were other big reasons.
Enclosed is a pic of our forums in 2000. Do you think that is as good a "product" as today?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-21 at 9.05.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-21 at 9.05.04 PM.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 186
OTH it doesn't look like the topics have changed much. :lol: and where the heck was Dennis? He couldn't have had more than 2000 or 3000 posts back then.

Webmaster said:
hossthehermit said:
We made a good product.

Change is not good unless it offers improvements.

We actually changed forum software twice before. The original forums had one big room. I think that was 1998-2001
Then we used a package call pmachine...which was upgraded a couple years later to this one.
We've used this since 2006 or so....

There is no way I would consider a change unless it brought some big advances to the table....or there were other big reasons.
Enclosed is a pic of our forums in 2000. Do you think that is as good a "product" as today?

Aye, those were the days. And I really don't want to go back to them.

The new forum is much better than this one IMO. Not that this one is horrible, but I find the search or new posts on the new one to be better, looks to be about same as a forum setup with the vbulletin software. (most use that nowadays)

I know all you old timers can't deal with the change though. (hehehehe)

NATE379 said:
The new forum is much better than this one IMO. Not that this one is horrible, but I find the search or new posts on the new one to be better, looks to be about same as a forum setup with the vbulletin software. (most use that nowadays)

I know all you old timers can't deal with the change though. (hehehehe)

I think the search is cool at the new one. I can even make it better - for instance, I can set it for two letter words

VC PE LP etc.

Check the search and how easy you can find members.......

Status
Not open for further replies.