The next big thing in batteries?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears to be a long way off.

"But the researchers point out that, given a lithium-sulphur battery does not need to be charged as often as a lithium-ion battery, it may be the case that the increase in energy density cancels out the lower total number of charge-discharge cycles."
That seems presumptuous. If the battery has greater capacity, tech will follow that will want to use that capacity. Think VR goggles for example.
- If you build it they will come -

The bolt is the door opener for electric cars and new battery tech . 238 miles per charge is outstanding. I can just imagine what kind of power supply that would give me in a nearby wilderness area than ti camp in that dont have power. I could light up the whole valley for days. Im already thinking about what color i want.

Reactions: Wildo and begreen
Yes, it looks like a nice car. Wondering what cold winter range will be. It wouldn't surprise me if it was only 2/3ds that, especially if mountain driving is involved. Still, that's decent range.

I think 2/3rds in real winter is the worst case.

Anything over 100 miles AER is great. What did the original GM electric get ,i think it was around 70 miles on a good day with lead acid batteries.
If the Bolt gets 150 on a cold winter day that still satisfies the vast majority of commutes. Easily can be an only car.

There were several iterations of the EV1 prototypes. They claimed 100-140 miles on NiMH battery version (26 kWh). The original had a 16 kWh lead-acid battery.

Nissan Leaf is rated at 84 miles on 24 kWh via the EPA test cycle. I could see the EV1 possibly reaching 140 miles at the low end highway speeds on a similar battery capacity based on its lower drag and weight. Definitely not on the EPA test cycle, though. Of course, the big problem with the EV1 was it they couldn't produce it for a viable price at the time. It had the features of a $10,000 car, but was leased for the price of a $30,000 car, and cost GM $1/4 million to build. I don't know if GM ever released an estimate of what they expected it to cost if they started mass production.

I see a new battery "breakthrough" about once a quarter via the various sites I follow. I learned long ago not to hold my breath for radical changes. Those are few and far between. That said, at one point, lithium ion batteries were the coming "breakthrough." Some of these current lab projects may quite well eventually prove both technically and economically viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.