The next project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Started on the tree at a neighbors house today. This is a giant Red Oak that fell on an Ash and another Oak on it's way down. The main trunk is straight and over 30 feet long at large diameters. The pic of the saw is at about 20 feet from the base. I am guessing the range is 42 down to 30 during that span of 30 feet. Don't know how I am going to deal with the main trunk yet. It is overhanging an embankment that drops 20 feet to a creek that is likely inaccessible. There is a good 15 feet of trunk in the air over that area. I have to consider that the trunk may drop and swing the whole tree as it rolls down the embankment. I am thinking of strapping a 6 foot long section from the base of the tree, to a truck and then cut it and pull it into a safe area. Repeat until the suspended tree is removed from the remaining section.

Really, I would love to find a mill that would do something productive with the wood, and make a few bucks too.

Attachments

• tree9.jpg
    tree9.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 512
  • tree8.jpg
    tree8.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 510
That will give the old wild thing a work out!

buy a bigger saw!

I keep the blades good and sharp and the Wild Thing can get through this thing. I am intending on getting the the 346xp with a 20 inch bar as soon as I can. Just don't have access to one at a reasonable price right now. The big web retailers are out of stock, and the local prices are too high. Would be a good tree to see the ability of the xp though.

I think I get the idea of what you're planning, and I think I'd strap a piece a lot smaller than 6 ft long to the truck. I'd strap like 2 ft to the truck. At 42 inch diameter even a 2 ft length is going to be heavy. If you're cutting it up for firewood, why wrestle with a big piece when you can work with smaller pieces?

mywaynow said:
I keep the blades good and sharp and the Wild Thing can get through this thing. I am intending on getting the the 346xp with a 20 inch bar as soon as I can. Just don't have access to one at a reasonable price right now. The big web retailers are out of stock, and the local prices are too high. Would be a good tree to see the ability of the xp though.

I want video of that wild thing cutting thru the part that it's sitting on!

That saw in the pic is an 18 inch bar. By the look of it, that part of the tree is pushing 40 inches, if not more. The 18 is obviously not getting through it. Even the saw I have eyeing, the 346xp with the 20 inch bar would be at it's bar limit. Oh well, there are not that many huge trees that I run into, so I will stick with my choice of the 346. Last time I dealt with such a large tree, I had to break the tree into quarters to get through it by noodleing, and work it with a maul and wedge.

mywaynow said:
That saw in the pic is an 18 inch bar. By the look of it, that part of the tree is pushing 40 inches, if not more. The 18 is obviously not getting through it. Even the saw I have eyeing, the 346xp with the 20 inch bar would be at it's bar limit. Oh well, there are not that many huge trees that I run into, so I will stick with my choice of the 346. Last time I dealt with such a large tree, I had to break the tree into quarters to get through it by noodleing, and work it with a maul and wedge.

I would go with a bigger saw this is the problem with a 50cc saw.

I was gonna say something about how I wouldn't run a 20" bar on the husky he's looking at but didn't wanna jack this thread all up but since we are on the subject, I run an 18" on my 50cc saw an its all it wants granted the 346 has a little more power but not much. Jus something tol think about mywaynow.

I assume the creek is behind the tree? Also looks like it is sitting up off the ground? Can you chain the bottom of the tree to something to keep it from rotating and then use that branch sticking up as a lever arm to roll it into the lawn with the truck?

The base of the tree is hung up against another stump, and just about at the saw, the tree trunk leaves the ground. If I did nothing and just cut from the top, I would likely make my last cut at about the saw and watch the remaining trunk roll away. There is nothing from the picture side of the tree to tie to, and the tree will roll away from the pic view. Hence the truck and chain idea. I have plenty of tree remaining intact to the right of the saw as of now. I felt if I started at the stump end (there is no stump attached) and tried to section off the 6 ft pieces that would be attached to the truck with a chain/strap it would allow me to piece-meal the problem area. I am assuming the 6 ft section is no more than 1500 lbs. The straps and chains I have I believe are rated for a ton. It will be time for the 2500HD to use the 4wd lo setting for sure.

mywaynow said:
I am assuming the 6 ft section is no more than 1500 lbs. The straps and chains I have I believe are rated for a ton. It will be time for the 2500HD to use the 4wd lo setting for sure.
1500# weight. Plus the friction of the drag > 1 ton. I might opt for smaller pieces, or a different method, though there may be no other good method if there is no anchor. I also use slanted cuts on the front of the log like this:
---------rope-------====log===| if I can't get a cone on the log, or I can't get the front end to lift up, really makes the pull easier, though it messes up the stacks some.

Pic from the downhill side of the big tree, and one of the stump it came out of. Note the dollar bill on the bark for reference purpose.

Attachments

• tree15.jpg
    tree15.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 196
  • tree16.jpg
    tree16.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.