The night from hell...or how is a pellet vent pipe SUPPOSED to be installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
So I'm gone doing a fishing show locally every day this week. Get home last night and wife says the pellet insert is about to go out that the flames are low. Sure nuff there's about 10 pellets in the hopper. So I fill the hopper.

10 minutes later my phone rings...it's my neighbor across the street...he's mowed down my mailbox with his car. ugh. But I digress.

About an hour after I filled the stove my wife calls me on the intercom and says the stove just went out. ugh. It don't go out unless something's wrong...yep..the first auger jam of the year. It's 9:30 at night by now. I pull the insert to get at the auger motor collar in the back to turn it with a wrench. I couldn't reach it good enough so I pulled the insert out a bit more...and yep just that little bit too much so that the 4" exhaust pipe breaks the joint at the top of the T on the back of the stove. It's all gobbed up with clear silicone...looks like GE silicone or something like that. There's soot dropping out in a big pile on the floor of the fireplace. Man what a mess. Every time I touch the pipe and it wiggles I get more soot. ugh. I clean it up as best I can and look for metal tape to try and seal it temporarily. I end up having some copper 1" wide tape and used that for the night wrapping the pipe with the copper tape and aluminum foil doubled up to seal around the pipe. (Had to use the foil as I couldn't get it to seal no matter what I did there was soot coming out a little when the stove fan fired up)

There were no screws in the pipe at all...just gobs of this clear silicone...doesn't seem right?? I'm going to HD this morning to get some aluminum heat tape and look for some high temp stuff to seal the pipe up with, is there something recommended for this? Pipe to T wasn't a real tight connection? It seemed sloppy?

Did get the auger unjammed too and ran it for the night without any issues but want to make this correct. My thought is these guys who installed this or the last guy to take this apart was a hack....

I believe there is a clear hi-temp silicone.

Have a drink, relax enjoy the heat, and chalk it all up to a learning experience!

How'd you make out w/the mailbox?

LOL I don't drink. Neighbor is a drunk though can ya tell? Mailbox got 1/2 hour of time with a hammer being put back into something close to what it was before..it's now sitting inside a 5 gallon bucket full of sand til the ground thaws in the spring sometime and got to carry it out to the end of the driveway.

Is it normal for this pipe to be just stuff together? I thought stove pipe stuff was supposed to have screws in it?

I am fairly new to the pellet world so I'll leave the expert opinion to well...the experts. My installation has no screws just hi-temp sillicone. I think regular single wall stove pipe uses self tapping screws.

Have a cup of coffee instead!

Always to code folks, always.

The stoves installation manual is a good start, the vent makers instructions are as well. Then there may be local or state level requirements.

Joints according to my stove manufacturer must be sealed and held together by three screws and only the vent manufactures clearances may be used . My vent manufacturer says three screws.

What does your's say?

Salty said:
........There's soot dropping out in a big pile on the floor of the fireplace. Man what a mess. Every time I touch the pipe and it wiggles I get more soot. ugh.

There were no screws in the pipe at all...just gobs of this clear silicone...doesn't seem right?? I'm going to HD this morning to get some aluminum heat tape and look for some high temp stuff to seal the pipe up with, is there something recommended for this? Pipe to T wasn't a real tight connection? It seemed sloppy?

Did get the auger unjammed too and ran it for the night without any issues but want to make this correct. My thought is these guys who installed this or the last guy to take this apart was a hack....

Salty, the aluminum furnace tape by itself should seal the pipes against leaks, but the pipe should have the screws put in before taping. If you want to still use silicone, any brand that's good up to at least 450 °F will work, and joint should be tight.

Glad you got the auger cleared, but I noticed that you said that you had a lot of soot falling out.....sounds like it's overdue for a good cleaning.

macman said:
Glad you got the auger cleared, but I noticed that you said that
you had a lot of soot falling out.....sounds like it's overdue for a good cleaning.

Macman beat me to it. I'd use this opportunity to clean
the exhaust vent before securing it back together.

My Excel Pipe calls for 3 screws at each connection, the good part is because of the gasgets inside the pipe no need for tape at joints. At the stove adapter it calls for a sealent and screws, On the Enviro Evolution I had to drill holes into the cast or whatever that exhaust is made of, put a black stove sealent on then put it together and put screws in.
I read the stove and pipe manuels and just followed what they said.

we use 3 screws per joint with millpack just in case. I agree, sounds like you should clean that puppy before you burn up a combustion fan

Yes I had already called for a cleaning last week anyways. It's supposed to be done this week. The local guy said when I called that he dropped the Inferno pellets and is pushing Okanagans now LOL ya killin me.

My Selkirk pipe does not require any screws... it locks together and has an internal silicone seal...

Those Infernos are junk frrom what i hear...the Okies will make you much warmer and happier.

Followup...the guy finally came out and he didn't like the T they put in with the adaptor to 4" at the top. He wetn back to his shop and got an integrated T that was 3" on two sides and 4" on the top with a clamp. It's now clamped and screwed then sealed with high temp silicone.

The stove has NEVER run this good before. Leads me to believe that something was wrong since this other guy worked on it last summer. The inferno pellets even burn better. Still not as good as the other samples we ran but WOW what a difference. I think this other T was leaking and changing how the draft was on the stove. It's MUCH different now. MUCH higher flame and the damper control has more of an effect on the fire which it never ever did before.

I'm really not impressed with these guys now. I paid for the new T also.. They should have done it for free because it was their screwup to begin with. The guy even said the old guy didn't work there anymore. UGH.

I bet having the pipes cleaned also helped. As they say 'a clean stove is a happy stove'.

Glad to hear she's working great, and you can now pull the stove out without the pipe coming apart unnecessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.