The nightmare house on the mountain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsman23

Minister of Fire
Aug 26, 2008
western southern tier of NYS
Over the weekend i installed a new pellet stove for a friend. He has a Amish made log home with 18-20" logs and i needed to drill a hole through one of them. I used a 6" hole saw and began on the inside log i drilled and drilled and in between chiseled until i had about 5-6" inside the log. Then i replaced hole saw drill bit with a long drill bit (22") and made a hole all the way through the log until in exited the log on the outside of the house. Then i went outside and did the same thing using the drill hole i made as a guide for the holesaw. This worked good but it took forever after getting that side in 5-6" i got a small chain saw and finished the job by removing pie type slices from inside the hole. Finally i seen day light and i finished the hole with the 6" holesaw and it cleaned it right up nice even hole all the way. Insatlled wall thimble but had to use a piece of stove pipe due to the large log and short wall thimble. It's all hooked up now but i gotta tell ya the things we do for our friends!!!.

It was a 1/2 bottle of crown. Also he bought a american harvest stove without auto ignite and it says made in china inside the door. Any ideas if these are good stoves.

I hope so, I just installed the American Harvet 6039 insert, and yea, it said made in china on my door too.

American Harvest. Keyword 'American'. Made in China. Damn shame.

Check your Quadrafire's they have stoves "assembled in china".

Eric

I was reading somewhere on the web that some manufacturers are bringing jobs back to the USA. Supposedly due to the high costs of shipping things both ways. As in shipping materials over to China to be assembled and then having to ship finished products back. I wonder if there is any truth to this. It would be nice if it's true. Any one hear anything on this?

What brands *are* made in the US?
I am under the impression Thelin is, but I would wager a lot of the sub- assemblies are built elsewhere.

It is really tough to stay US. I did just buy a primo bbq made in Atlanta.

tubbster said:
I am under the impression Thelin is, but I would wager a lot of the sub- assemblies are built elsewhere.

It is really tough to stay US. I did just buy a primo bbq made in Atlanta.

I have a st croix afton bay says made in Maine.

tubbster said:

I have an Avalon Astoria, and the Travis website says that all Avalon & Lopi stoves are made in the US in Seattle. Makes me feel even better about buying this stove. :)

Any stove by Travis Industries (Lopi, Avalon, FPX) is made in Washington, Country stoves are made in Washington, Whitfield is now being made in Washington after a short stint in Mexico. Lennox has really upped their game on pellet stoves, they bought out Country and developed a few new stoves that are like the Country and Whitfield combined. I believe they have just released some of the best burning pellet stoves around. Keep your eyes open. By the way, I don't work for Lennox or Travis

yardleypa said:
I would buy clothes from china and other nicknacks.However I would not drive a chinese made car and would be weary of a pellet stove

I found out my Pontiac Torrent engine and trans are China made. That information was not in the sales pitch.

Its gittin' tuff to find anything without a China connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.