The nut piggy rides again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Got the long awaited call this morning from the nut plant, they were up and shelling now.

We are in a short lived weather window so this morning was a great time to do it.

Unbuckled the big rig from the trailer and headed out.

Got 4 tons of shells and we got them all barrelled up and squirreled into the basement.

Last year we got shells much earlier but the material was not my favorite, not even.

This load is all really clean and with most pieces about the size of ones little fingernail.

Great burning stuff.

I am all ready for winter now, so bring it on.

Should have plenty of materials to last through until next harvest now.

The nut shell piggy rides again.

Looking forward to getting the stuff from last year out of the stoves and the new stuff in the hoppers.

Ahhhh, feeling good about things.

Shells all in, roof fixed and life is good.

Snowy

I am not able to burn nut shells, or for that matter, even have access to them, but out of curiosity, how do they compare to pellets in price, heat, and ash? It is fantastic that you are able to take a byproduct and put it to good use.
Maine has an abundance of trees. I have a notion that will be our source of fuel for our stoves for many years to come. Wood pellet prices have dropped for now, but for how long is anyone’s guess. If oil keeps going up, then so will the cost of any other fuel unless you have your own. If enough home owners would convert to pellets or other domestic fuels, the prices might be more predictably stable and the delivery dilemma resolved.
Stay warm, and stay independent!

Do those give a pleasant smell when you are burning them? Kind of like "Chestnuts roasting over an open fire"??

The price is really good. Cost me $113 for the truckload.

The only caviat is the fact that a truck is needed to get the stuff and its a very seasonal thing.
By late January the processing will be over and the supply ends for the year.

The smell is a pleasant one, sort of Who is cooking what in the kitchen.

It has its issues though and requires a tad more fooling around with the stove than pellets do.

But that $113 will heat the house for the winter.

Possibly by the middle of January, depending on how much we burn, I may get a small amount and fill everything back up.

Last season we burned until early June.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.