The Official Hearth.com code thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had hoped the rants/raves and other comments here would have been code related....in that way it would have been a constructive thread/conversation.

Well as you know, the minute a Wood Gun is mentioned every one goes off the deep end.
It's tough being Gods gift to gasification.

When y'all yell like that it comes off more like your mad. ;lol

I am mad. Mad that you are derailing what could have been a rather useful thread with an absolutely useless "rant" about a system you have absolutely NO experience with anyways.

I'm not really sure why you have such a vendetta against certain setups. My boiler heats my house. Your boiler heats your house. They both do it without burning oil/gas. Isn't that the whole purpose of this "Boiler Room"?

So...back to the CODE:

You can't mix solid and liquid fuel combustion into 1 flue...unless the unit is specifically designed for that purpose.

ac

I am mad. Mad that you are derailing what could have been a rather useful thread with an absolutely useless "rant" about a system you have absolutely NO experience with anyways.

Don't be mad. mikefrommaine adds a comic relief to many topics here. The code thread is useful. rants and raves are useful. just got to read the replies that pertain to what you want.

Reactions: BoilerMan
MY WOODGUN HEATS MY HOUSE AND THE FIRE STARTS ALL BY ITSELF AFTER BEING OFF FOR SEVERAL HOURS. AND IS IN THE GARAGE AND PASSED NYS CODE INSPECTIONS!

TOTALLY LOVE MY WOOD GUN.
AND NO STORAGE!
The seed was planted here hoping for a reaction and I bit.

Anyone got a good article / primer on what a wood gun is? Being a simple fireplace / stove guy, I'm very curious.

Anyone got a good article / primer on what a wood gun is? Being a simple fireplace / stove guy, I'm very curious.
It's a gassification boiler. The user base is very vocal and defensive bunch. They tend to believe in the paranormal.

Recently the existence of a Woodgun 'underground' was confirmed. InfinityMike is believed to be one of the founding members.
http://www.alternateheatingsystems.com/WoodGasification.aspx

I am mad. Mad that you are derailing what could have been a rather useful thread with an absolutely useless "rant" about a system you have absolutely NO experience with anyways. I'm not really sure why you have such a vendetta against certain setups. My boiler heats my house. Your boiler heats your house. They both do it without burning oil/gas. Isn't that the whole purpose of this "Boiler Room"?

NOW that is what i'm talking about. That was a quite a rant; feel better? Well done.

Reactions: infinitymike
I love talking about the woodgun furnace. I have absolutely no experience running them but remember a very long conversation a few months back. I studied everything I could find on them. Very interesting design that appears to work well. I think they could use a left handed smoke bending option though.

I struggled with one for 8 years before it disintegrated and got sent to the scrap yard. Company sales people have been able to spread the myth that it is something special and will actually "shut off" the wood fire and start it back up when there is a call for heat and some folks actually believe it. The other myth they have spread is "how simple" the unit is. Many believe it because they see that it is controlled by a couple aquastats instead of a digital controller with LCD or LED readouts but unsuspecting potential customers are confusing "simple with "primitive."

The internal heat exchange tubes are the most complicated and there is more hardware hanging on the exterior than any other unit that I have personally studied.
Not only that: If you want (and you will) a cycle timer to keep your fire going so it will rekindle, you have to buy it along with other add ons that come standard with other boilers.

I struggled with one for 8 years before it disintegrated and got sent to the scrap yard. Company sales people have been able to spread the myth that it is something special and will actually "shut off" the wood fire and start it back up when there is a call for heat and some folks actually believe it. The other myth they have spread is "how simple" the unit is. Many believe it because they see that it is controlled by a couple aquastats instead of a digital controller with LCD or LED readouts but unsuspecting potential customers are confusing "simple with "primitive."

The internal heat exchange tubes are the most complicated and there is more hardware hanging on the exterior than any other unit that I have personally studied.
Not only that: If you want (and you will) a cycle timer to keep your fire going so it will rekindle, you have to buy it along with other add ons that come standard with other boilers.

See what I mean about going off the deep end!

Lets see, that link mike from Maine posted for the Wood Gun states a 20 yr warranty.
It sounds like you bought your WG close to 14 years ago.
Maybe you had a Friday or Monday shift model, or maybe they just weren't any good back then.I don't know.
I feel bad for what you went through.
Nobody that owns one today is struggling with it any more then any one else's gasifier.

I think it's time to forgive and forget.
Luv ya Fred

See what I mean about going off the deep end!
Lets see, that link mike from Maine posted for the Wood Gun states a 20 yr warranty.
It sounds like you bought your WG close to 14 years ago.
Maybe you had a Friday or Monday shift model, or maybe they just weren't any good back then.I don't know.
I feel bad for what you went through.
Nobody that owns one today is struggling with it any more then any one else's gasifier.

I think it's time to forgive and forget.
Luv ya Fred
I'm not holding a grudge against them. Just trying to warn those who are contemplating a purchase to stay away from a machine that requires so much maintenance and is likely to expire before it's time or a unit that you cannot even fine tune. Seems like any time a newbie asks for info on gasification boilers a sales pitch for the Wood Gun pops up from one of you guys and I get a sinking feeling of sympathy for the poor un-suspecting individual. I don't see that happening from the owners of other gassers. They sort of stay neutral and suggest different boiler choices.

There have been few changes. Same design, a few reinforcements on some of the weak areas. Right, weren't good back then and more than likely not good now.
I'm starting my sixth season with my present boiler and by this time I had been fighting refractory problems, warped doors leaking and several other problems with the Wood Gun.

BTW don't be accusing other posters for not using this thread for posting code only posts without taking some of the responsibility yourself. Scroll back to see what I mean.

Anyone constantly under attack becomes defensive.

Scroll through the thread. Try to recall exactly how it got to this point.

I'm pretty sure it is because YOU are offensive, not because a WG owner is defensive.
co_chill_out_funny_chemistry_element_symbol_tee_magnet-ra76d56bef34448948b2b196b6399efbc_x7j3u_8byvr_512.jpg

[quote="Fred61, post: 1499423, member:

BTW don't be accusing other posters for not using this thread for posting code only posts without taking some of the responsibility yourself. Scroll back to see what I mean.[/quote]

I will always take responsibility when it's mine to take
but I never accused anyone of not using this thread for code posting.
Scroll back you self

had to write a little song just for fun:)

Man... you boiler guys are an up-tight bunch!

<-- "un-watching" thread

oh we're just having fun!

Yeah just wait until the subject of black market boilers comes up. Or if someone mentions Lambda three times.
I do find it amusing that people get so worked up about boilers.

C'mon bro, you gotta admit that is pretty damn funny!

Just adding a little comic relief. Must be because of our name.

I can't see any redeeming qualities to this thread.

To the OP - maybe try again. I suggest leaving out the "rant" option.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.