The oil boiler is on......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
We are going away for the weekend and I wanted to see if it even worked, it's been a while. Man I hate the sound of that damn thing!

We are going away for the weekend and I wanted to see if it even worked, it's been a while. Man I hate the sound of that damn thing!

I know the feeling, we went away a couple of times in November and of course they were the coldest weekends of the month, each time it wasn't really cold yet before we left so I ran a ran some very hot fires and got the whole house into the upper 70's before we left to keep the boiler at bay...

This is our first year of burning after freezing our a$$es off last year, we would go to our in-laws in Rhode Island and bask in the upper 60's warmth, now that we're burning their house seems freezing at 68 degrees...

I hear ya'. The first time my oil furnace kicked on this season it scared the bejesus out of me. Our house is an old (drafty) stone bank barn so with no heat, its easily 54 in here, nice in sumer, a bit much in the winter. I keep the thermostat set at 60 to kick on when the stove goes out when we are out for the day, but the few times it's kicked on at night, I jump up out of bed and crank the stove back up. I hate burning oil and STILL being cold! Baseboard heat at 68 is just not the same as woodstove 68 :)

Our house is an old (drafty) stone bank barn so with no heat, its easily 54 in here, nice in sumer, a bit much in the winter.

Bank barn..drool...love...want... lol.

We don't have a furnace to kick on...BUT, I do really hate it when I hear the vent free kick on. Usually it's at night if I somehow managed to sleep longer than 2am (we're buring small box elder splits at the moment, so even a full load doesn't last all night. Most of them are little more than stick sized-but they were free, so I'm fine with shorter burn times).

Bank barn..drool...love...want... lol.

Hah! I've seen the pictures of your place and the transformation of the cottage, you've got some nice digs there yourself :)

Our house is an old (drafty) stone bank barn
Stone barns are incredible looking there are several that have been restored in the Buckingham area around New Hope. It is a style we are hoping to mimic whenever we finally build a garage.

Meanwhile, we are attempting to tighten up our own stone dwelling. The winds we had here the last few days really kills the burn times on the stoves with all the air seeping in.

I am thinking 60, I don't want the cat getting cold.;)

We keep ours at 55 so the pipes don't freeze, the cats have fur coats, I think they're good into the 30's... :mad:

We keep ours at 55 so the pipes don't freeze, the cats have fur coats, I think they're good into the 30's... :mad:
\\

I don't need to come home to a cat with a bad attitude!:oops::eek:;lol

Cha-ching............ Theres dollars in dat dar oil.
I didn't even test my oil furnace this year.
Enjoy your time away. Shouldn't be that much used.

Hah! I've seen the pictures of your place and the transformation of the cottage, you've got some nice digs there yourself :)

Thanks!

Barns have always held a facination for me. We looked at a bank barn here that had the lower level converted into a home, but it was a foreclosure and we couldn't get the bank where we wanted to be. Best I could get was to use old hayloft flooring in the hall here, lol.

Are there pics of the barn on Hearth.com?

I feel your pain! I'm visiting family for a few days so mine is running now or will soon.

I feel your pain! I'm visiting family for a few days so mine is running now or will soon.
You should have gotten the King, I hear they go for days on a full load at slow burn........;-)

You should have gotten the King, I hear they go for days on a full load at slow burn........;-)

I would have loved to buy a king, 8" flue made it a deal breaker when I was already set up with a 6". Someday if/when I add on to my family room/kitchen area I'll have a king in place. :)

I bet that King would run fine on a 6" set up.

I bet that King would run fine on a 6" set up.

I think it would have during the main part of the burn but I get some smoke spillage even with the Princess during warmer weather. At the end of the burn the flue temps are so low the draft is really lousy on the warmer days. If my chimney was straight up and out it would probably work fine.

Are there pics of the barn on Hearth.com?
No, there are not but It's suppose to snow here tomorrow so I'll get some good pictures. The house is a wreck right now - hurricane Sandy brought an 85 ft ash tree through my roof taking out a chunk of my second floor but I'll dig out some older pics this weekend, pre-damage to post :)

Oh, that would be great! Thanks.

Stone barns are incredible looking there are several that have been restored in the Buckingham area around New Hope. It is a style we are hoping to mimic whenever we finally build a garage

I live pretty close to you, in Point Pleasant on River Rd near Bucks County River Country. Our home was built in 1865 and was a barn used by the mule barge crews when they use to shuttle coal up the canal. It was converted to a home in 1924 and has been lived in ever since, by us now going on 10 years now :)

How about hearing that boiler come on because a house guest decided he wanted to be warmer! While I was burning the stove!! I heard it come on when I came thru the garage and ran, I mean ran to put a hand on the circulators to see what zone was on. Turned out my father inlaw wanted MY house at 70 instead of 65! So mad, but had to smile politely and turn the thermostat down, throw a few more splits in. Arrggg!

Your lucky you don't need the oil burner for your hot water. I am saving a ton on heat, but everytime someone takes an extra long hot shower I feel like yelling at them. The boiler kicks on for shower and dishwasher.

I live pretty close to you, in Point Pleasant on River Rd near Bucks County River Country.
I looked at two homes in that area. The home with the red tin roof on the corner of River Road across the street from the Saab mechanic and a home further up the hill of the home with the red tin roof.

Our home was built in 1865 and was a barn used by the mule barge crews when they use to shuttle coal up the canal. It was converted to a home in 1924 and has been lived in ever since, by us now going on 10 years now :)
Which side of River road and how well do you make out when the Delaware floods?

Your lucky you don't need the oil burner for your hot water. I am saving a ton on heat, but everytime someone takes an extra long hot shower I feel like yelling at them. The boiler kicks on for shower and dishwasher.

No i do use it for hot water. That's how tuned my ears have become, I know when the the thing comes on to make water. I also know that if I heard it 15min ago I shouldn't be hearing it again so soon. That dang thing is like nails on a chalk board to me now. I wake up in the night when I hear the fridge doing it's thing thinking I've had the fire burn out and the furnace came on, but then I realize it was just the fridge and go back to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.