The old family stove-An all season burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
I've been burning the Fisher my Father installed somewhere around 1977-79. As a kid I never operated the Fisher but would operate the smaller stove in our back room now and then. For my Father burning wood was for heat and he really had no pleasure in burning wood. As many of you guys he worked full time job even if it was just sitting in the union hall waiting for work and at night rebuilding motors in the garage he always had to find time to fell trees and bring them home. My parents had to borrow money against life insurance policies to buy the stoves. He had all the trees he wanted so it made sense.
Well that's the history of the stove, everything about her is original and the pipes were all replaced for the first time spring 2009.

For the last 12 years I've been renting the house from my parents and burned about 2 cord a year. I scraped the smaller stove (looked like a Jotul 601 but was not one) a few years ago since it was not safe.
After spending a stupid amount of money I decided this Fall that I was gonna burn 24/7. I started burning back in November and have been burning since. Now with warm days I will let it go out during the day, I have coals till noon and the steel continues to throw heat right till I start the night fire.
I started the season buying at $200 a cord and found I was going through a cord every 2 weeks. Luckily I found the forum here and learned alot! Moving air with fans was a big help since I was doing it all wrong. I also learned how to operate the stove and the result was a cleaner and longer burn cycle producing steady heat all Winter long.
I also learned a lot on how to process my own firewood. Now I have a scrounger that brings wood a few days a week and a few cord of log length that come once a month. It will take some time to pay off all the equipment but honestly I've probably already broke even with the price of fuel oil and I was a hell of alot warmer!!

I really enjoyed this season and will be much better prepared for future seasons. Thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.