The old sled gets a new look!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
This morning I took the tub off the old sled frame and built a platform and side stakes on it. I wanted to build it a little beefier, but I ran out of recycled lumber!
IMG_0217%20(800x600).jpg

Still quite a bit of snow and they issued another winter storm warning for tomorrow. I think the snow is going to stick around for awhile.
IMG_0229%20(800x600).jpg

It was an absolutely gorgeous day!
IMG_0237%20(800x600).jpg

A nice little pile of dead white oak, the bark already falling off as I split.
IMG_0242%20(800x600).jpg

And here is my improved(?) winter wood hauler, all loaded up. Hauls about twice as much as the old tub. It will be interesting to see if it lasts until Spring!
IMG_0249%20(800x600).jpg

A few little snow-covered white pines and a white oak in the background with it's leaves on it yet.
IMG_0255%20(800x600).jpg

A red pine plantation.
IMG_0256%20(800x600).jpg

The sun setting over a stand of jackpine/white pine mixed.
IMG_0257%20(800x600).jpg

Hauls more wood but the charm factor of the sled just went right out the window. :lol:

This is exactly what I need! Up to now I haul my weeks worth of wood from the piles to a covered porch with a lawn trackter and trailer. When we get snow I have to use a wheel barrel. I have a snowmobile and looking for ideas to haul wood. Anybody have simple ideas.

my buddy uses an old semi hood with a rope for a sled behind his snow mobile. He pulls some pretty good sized piles of wood. When there is no snow, he uses his ATV instead to drag that hood.

check around car junkyards. look for 1980s and before car hoods. Steel>plastic

Looks practical but harder to load.

First the Old gas can
Then a new handle in the maul
now the sled :bug:
What up????

The unique "Classic Look" is gone :(
Death of an icon.
Sad, Sad, Sad

I can see a fancy new hydraulic log splitter coming soon.

BrotherBart said:
Hauls more wood but the charm factor of the sled just went right out the window. :lol:
HA! I'll save the tub for passenger duties, if the need ever arises! Four bolts and it goes right back on.

stejus said:
This is exactly what I need! Up to now I haul my weeks worth of wood from the piles to a covered porch with a lawn trackter and trailer. When we get snow I have to use a wheel barrel. I have a snowmobile and looking for ideas to haul wood. Anybody have simple ideas.
Like RowCropRenegade says. Many people around here use old car hoods from the junkyards.

bogydave said:

First the Old gas can
What up????

Death of an icon.
Sad, Sad, Sad

Actually, it's easier to load efficiently! With the old tub, I had to first load the section where the passengers' feet go. Then I had to load the section above the bench seat. And then it wasn't long enough to fit two splits end to end in it very well, so I always ended up 'jigsaw puzzling' it! With this thing they all go end to end with no 'interlocking'!

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that my new SQUARE gas can, that I bought last year, BROKE! I think the dumb thing was like ten dollars, so now I'm back to the old ROUND gas can! HAHA!

Oh, and one other thing I should mention in case it isn't already obvious, I am not a carpenter! HA!

bogydave said:

First the Old gas can
What up????

Death of an icon.
Sad, Sad, Sad

Dave, you're right, and I think I may have just shed a tear. :sick:

PapaDave said:
bogydave said:

First the Old gas can
What up????

Death of an icon.
Sad, Sad, Sad

Dave, you're right, and I think I may have just shed a tear. :sick:
Aw come on, once every 30 or 40 years isn't that bad! HAHAHA! And no, no hydraulic splitter anytime soon. I would never ruin my favorite part of the whole process! The sled, the saw, the trailer, even the gas can are all just peripherals to splitting more wood with my old maul....

mayhem said:
See, this is the kind of clever system we all need to setup on our exposed woodpiles to keep the wood theives away.
It won't draw any blood though, but would sure give the thief a lump!

How about one of those old clawfoot bathtubs with wheels underneath? Dont laugh I seen it somewhere before.Never seen if in actual operation though :lol:

BrotherBart said:

+1 That Tub was SWEEEET!

Quads, you may not be a carpenter but you are a farmer. That also means you are a jack of all trades and a master of none! :lol:

I like it Quads, but looks like it might start to plow snow. By the way, asked you this on another post, but lost track of it and never did find the answer. What size are those splits (length). Cheers!

I think I responded with something like 'those splits are 18, 16, 14, 20-ish inches!' I'm terrible at cutting two pieces of wood the same length! Anyway, lately the majority have been coming out 20 inches. I've noticed when I'm running my new MS290 the length of the rounds likes to be about 20 inches. When I run the older 026, the length of the rounds come out about 16! All have 18 inch bars one them. I can't figure out why I cut differently with each saw, but like I said, I'm not too consistent regardless. Ben cutting firewood my whole life and still have to consciously think about the length of each and every round as I'm cutting.

I did some extensive testing today (6 loads) with the revamped sled. It's still hanging together! Now it hauls $12.50 worth of wood. The old tub hauled only $8.33. My trailer hauls $25 as does my old truck. (just a bit of uninteresting trivia!)

quads said:
I think I responded with something like 'those splits are 18, 16, 14, 20-ish inches!' I'm terrible at cutting two pieces of wood the same length! Anyway, lately the majority have been coming out 20 inches. I've noticed when I'm running my new MS290 the length of the rounds likes to be about 20 inches. When I run the older 026, the length of the rounds come out about 16! All have 18 inch bars one them. I can't figure out why I cut differently with each saw, but like I said, I'm not too consistent regardless. Ben cutting firewood my whole life and still have to consciously think about the length of each and every round as I'm cutting.

I did some extensive testing today (6 loads) with the revamped sled. It's still hanging together! Now it hauls $12.50 worth of wood. The old tub hauled only $8.33. My trailer hauls $25 as does my old truck. (just a bit of uninteresting trivia!)

How much $$ would a claw foot porcelain bathtub carry? :)

Shari

bogydave said:

First the Old gas can
What up????

Death of an icon.
Sad, Sad, Sad

You forgot to add that he bought a new saw this summer too! Quads is going modern on us.

ah so with those new profit margins you can now afford new Tires for the quad so that you can go out and cut wood in deeper snow.

cause it sure is snowing down in my corner of the badger state at the moment.

sublime out.

nice looking sled.

though the old Tub sure add its own appeal.

sublime68charger said:
ah so with those new profit margins you can now afford new Tires for the quad so that you can go out and cut wood in deeper snow.

cause it sure is snowing down in my corner of the badger state at the moment.

sublime out.

nice looking sled.

though the old Tub sure add its own appeal.
Nah, tires are good yet. I can't see the air in them! If I had tread, then I'd have no excuse to take time off. Snowing like crazy here right now too. Really coming down.

Shari said:
How much $$ would a claw foot porcelain bathtub carry? :)

Shari
I bet I could get at least $12.50 in one of those (no bench seat in it like the old tub sled has)!

Flatbedford said:
You forgot to add that he bought a new saw this summer too! Quads is going modern on us.
Business is booming!

Quads - okay, I was thinking there were some pretty large splits. Do you have problems selling the larger length splits, or do you just keep em' for yourself? I've been thinking about selling a little wood each year to offset my oil for DHW, but I've cut a lot of wood longer than 16", which I figured a lot of folks would need (or smaller). Oh well, if I end up keeping all of my wood........ ;-P

NH_Wood said:
Quads - okay, I was thinking there were some pretty large splits. Do you have problems selling the larger length splits, or do you just keep em' for yourself? I've been thinking about selling a little wood each year to offset my oil for DHW, but I've cut a lot of wood longer than 16", which I figured a lot of folks would need (or smaller). Oh well, if I end up keeping all of my wood........ ;-P
Have never had any complaints one way or the other. Most people like the big long splits. I have never actually seen a real life modern/smaller stove. Everybody has the big old stoves, add-on furnaces, or outdoor boilers around here. A few have fireplaces, and I have one customer that cuts the longer splits in half. And he is all happy when he gets the longer splits because he says he's getting more wood for his $25! HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.